new am 2..help! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss new am 2..help! in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

reddo88

alright lads,im due to re sit the new am2 on thursday,they failed me on my installation,apparently my bonding and central heating, AND on my testing they failed me on my earth fault loop test,i think it was because i didnt check my readings in the regs! just wondering if anyone had any tips to help me out! CHEERS :)

On the bonding thing, cant really go wrong unless you cut the conductor between the 2 pipes. It has to be one continuous piece of cable. I done mine by stripping the insulation then bending the strands to an 'O' and then placed the screw through this and then screwed it to the earth clamp. Then a crimp lug on the end of the cable where it connects to the other pipe.
Make sure label is on and locking nut is tightened.

The heating thing i cant really help you out as it could be anything without seeing it, just follow the diagram carefully and double check everything. Make sure you sleeve conductors with brown/blue sleeving if you arent using singles. As in black conductor in 3 core sleeved 'brown' if it is going to be live.

Cant really give any advice on the testing apart from read up on it to check you are doing things right.

Good Luck!

This is strange iv just finished mine today and mine was a S plan with Solar element. When livened up it all went ok.

My bonding I used 2 separate cables to gas and to water this was acceptable. Im pretty sure iv let myself down with filling in my certificate.

Alright mate, you just need to relax and take things easy, the exam is not difficult, but the marking scheme is a joke so they'll fail you on the little thing. Take your time and use the regs OSG etc etc if your not clear on anything. If you only failed on your bonding and earth fault loop I would revise a specific part, just go through the whole test again and dont rush.

P.s I was speaking to my examiner whilst doing mine and he said the new marking scheme is a joke. for example. your 2 way and inter lighting circuit doesnt really matter. I wired mine and somehow managed to get my switch wires wrong so the light didnt work at every switch and my examiner said dont worry there's nothing on the mark scheme to fail you on that lol Big sigh of relief from me. Take your time to triple check your central heating. I just used one of the diagrams they give you and crossed the connection off when I did it until it was finished. Worked a treat.

Good luck

Couple of tips

READ THE SPECIFICTAION VERY CAREFULLY. Yes I know its shouting but read it carefully

Bonding, 1x10mm to water and gas or 1 no 10mm to gas and water pipe make sure it stays continuous. Make sure clamps are correctly fitted, nice and tight and also make sure the nut on the clamp is tight. Check carefully where you placed both clamps. (My guess its where you failed) They should not be side by side. Look closely. One above the stopcock and one below the Tee.

C/H system is connections by numbers. Look at the wiring digram very carefully. There should be a fault finding bay nearby already wired up. Have a look as you walk by to give you an idea!!

EFLI. You obtain Ze and you might as well obtain R1 + R2. Add them together and there is Zs. Check carefully if it complies. (page 103 OSG for 60898 breakers) I am sure that the odd circuit will not comply as I think its a C type breaker. Check them all

Hope that help

Reply to new am 2..help! in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net