New Build. Consumer Unit 7 mtrs from Supply Box Installation Advice Required | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New Build. Consumer Unit 7 mtrs from Supply Box Installation Advice Required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
I am retired but needed a project so self building our new bungalow on an existing plot with power.
I have Part P but limited experience on a totally new supply installation.

The main supply and meters will be into my new white box on outside wall at 100amp and this has been agreed with Western Power.

My consumer unit is approx 7 mtr away in a cupboard within the new build.

The property design has a concrete block & beam floor which once laid is not accessible so I need to ensure I install any channel or duct prior to thread cable through later in build.

Earth will be a new spike and I will install this near the box to take a 16mm earth cable into the build.

I'll need an 80amp fuse within supply box for my feed.

I need to install a duct or conduit under the floor to thread supply cable.

1/ Should this be plastic or metal?

2/ Should I use SWA or just shielded cable within the duct or conduit?

3/ What size cable for 100/80 amp supply is recommended?

Regards

If you have approved document P then surely all you need to know is contained therein?
A new spike? Just the one then?
16mm? Does the adiabatic equation really tell you this size is needed?
Yes install a duct, this will really help the electrician you employ

Hi all
I am retired but needed a project so self building our new bungalow on an existing plot with power.
I have Part P but limited experience on a totally new supply installation.

The main supply and meters will be into my new white box on outside wall at 100amp and this has been agreed with Western Power.

My consumer unit is approx 7 mtr away in a cupboard within the new build.

The property design has a concrete block & beam floor which once laid is not accessible so I need to ensure I install any channel or duct prior to thread cable through later in build.

Earth will be a new spike and I will install this near the box to take a 16mm earth cable into the build.

I'll need an 80amp fuse within supply box for my feed.

I need to install a duct or conduit under the floor to thread supply cable.

1/ Should this be plastic or metal?

2/ Should I use SWA or just shielded cable within the duct or conduit?

3/ What size cable for 100/80 amp supply is recommended?

Regards

Welcome to the site GHD...and take the grumpy git's comments above with a pinch of salt!

That said, the essence of their comments is correct, you should really employ an electrician to design the supply and circuit arrangements for you. I'm sure they would be happy to have you labour for them so you can be involved in your build and save a bit of cash.

I'll give you a starter for ten....you will be looking at a SWA for a supply over 3m between your meter and CU.

Festive greetings.

No mate, I'm just questioning some of the advice given to the OP. It needs to be this or that without having had sight of the installation or the proposed run for the tails or having the opportunity to give alternative options.
Yes, swa may be a requirement as might running the tails in copex but resiting the CU could be a far better option.

No mate, I'm just questioning some of the advice given to the OP. It needs to be this or that without having had sight of the installation or the proposed run for the tails or having the opportunity to give alternative options.
Yes, swa may be a requirement as might running the tails in copex but resiting the CU could be a far better option.

I hate to say it, but you're right! In trying to be helpful we can fall into the trap of assuming we know the detail without having seen the job.
Where's me Night Nurse?

night nurse???

[ElectriciansForums.net] New Build. Consumer Unit 7 mtrs from Supply Box Installation Advice Required

Reply to New Build. Consumer Unit 7 mtrs from Supply Box Installation Advice Required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net