New Build. Consumer Unit 7 mtrs from Supply Box Installation Advice Required | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New Build. Consumer Unit 7 mtrs from Supply Box Installation Advice Required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
I am retired but needed a project so self building our new bungalow on an existing plot with power.
I have Part P but limited experience on a totally new supply installation.

The main supply and meters will be into my new white box on outside wall at 100amp and this has been agreed with Western Power.

My consumer unit is approx 7 mtr away in a cupboard within the new build.

The property design has a concrete block & beam floor which once laid is not accessible so I need to ensure I install any channel or duct prior to thread cable through later in build.

Earth will be a new spike and I will install this near the box to take a 16mm earth cable into the build.

I'll need an 80amp fuse within supply box for my feed.

I need to install a duct or conduit under the floor to thread supply cable.

1/ Should this be plastic or metal?

2/ Should I use SWA or just shielded cable within the duct or conduit?

3/ What size cable for 100/80 amp supply is recommended?

Regards

If it was my own house I was building I would be installing earth electrodes too even if it was a PME supply.
To my mind it is a perfectly sensible idea, and if I'm footing the bill then why not?

Plus there are many areas without PME available, plenty of areas around here don't have it available

If the tails are over 3 mtrs which in this case it is then you will need to install a switch fuse unit at the intake which will protect the cable to your CU. Now this is a DNO requirement and not a BS 7671 regulation contrary to what some ppl may tell you. Some DNOs stipulate that tails over 2 mtrs require a switch fuse.

If the tails are over 3 mtrs which in this case it is then you will need to install a switch fuse unit at the intake which will protect the cable to your CU. Now this is a DNO requirement and not a BS 7671 regulation contrary to what some ppl may tell you. Some DNOs stipulate that tails over 2 mtrs require a switch fuse.

And EDF don't allow them at all meaning the CU must be within 3m of the main fuse

And EDF don't allow them at all meaning the CU must be within 3m of the main fuse

Really, ....so what do they suggest on these new housing estates where the electrical meter cabinets are located on/in boundary walls?? Not to mention typical multi dwelling installations!!

Anyway on what basis are EDF disallowing switch fuses on extended tails, that are in place primarily for their benefit, not the homeowners??... There must be literally thousands if not 10's of thousands of existing installations in the EDF areas with extended tails with and even without secondary OCPD.

What are the EDF going to do, if and when they come across such a situation, pull the Service fuse(s) and walk away... I don't think so!!

Really, ....so what do they suggest on these new housing estates where the electrical meter cabinets are located on/in boundary walls?? Not to mention typical multi dwelling installations!!

Anyway on what basis are EDF disallowing switch fuses on extended tails, that are in place primarily for their benefit, not the homeowners??... There must be literally thousands if not 10's of thousands of existing installations in the EDF areas with extended tails with and even without secondary OCPD.

What are the EDF going to do, if and when they come across such a situation, pull the Service fuse(s) and walk away... I don't think so!!

When they come to connect a builders board or temp supply they inspect the site and if the planned location is further than 3m they tell the "site" to relocate the CU.

Had it happen to me a few months back. Talk about a nasty jobs worth. Fortunately for me the client was on site, and was involved in the discussion and paid my additional costs to move the CU.

When they come to connect a builders board or temp supply they inspect the site and if the planned location is further than 3m they tell the "site" to relocate the CU.

Had it happen to me a few months back. Talk about a nasty jobs worth. Fortunately for me the client was on site, and was involved in the discussion and paid my additional costs to move the CU.

Think you must of been dealing with a misinformed ''Meter fitter'' than a Responsible Person from the the DNO. By providing an appropriately sized switch fuse and fuse(s) where extended tails have been installed you are relieving the DNO of any responsibility for their service fuse(s) protecting the installation!! Next time, perhaps you get the person spurting out this garbage to contact EDF's area manager....

Think you must of been dealing with a misinformed ''Meter fitter'' than a Responsible Person from the the DNO. By providing an appropriately sized switch fuse and fuse(s) where extended tails have been installed you are relieving the DNO of any responsibility for their service fuse(s) protecting the installation!! Next time, perhaps you get the person spurting out this garbage to contact EDF's area manager....

You've clearly never attempted to deal with the bunch of incompetant money grabbing French jobsworths commonly known as EDF then.

I once had them refuse to connect a house supply due to lack of bonding, the gas was due to be installed a week later and the water was a blue polypipe feeding a single tap on a fence post outside!

No, a long term employee living by the rules of the past when it was SEEBOARD!

This is EXACTLY what the schemes need to address, together, but they won't

No, a long term employee living by the rules of the past when it was SEEBOARD!

This is EXACTLY what the schemes need to address, together, but they won't

Then get his boss on the phone then!!!

So what's the difference from the old Regional Boards to the new DNO's, in relation to extended tails??

Not with you here, what's the Schemes got to do with anything??

Currently nothing at all, but if they were actually looking after their members interests they would be standing up for them and getting DNOs to allow meter seal removal and replacement by electricians etc etc.

Trouble with that arrangement is, far too many of them ''AREN'T'' electricians are they, so they would be giving permissions to these 17 day/electrical trainee's. Don't know about you, but that doesn't sound like a very good idea to me!!

But by the same token if they were looking after their members and actually benefiting the industry they wouldn't have created this Electrical Trainee DI situation in the first place

Well according to Marvo it's too late now to do anything about them being in the industry. So it seems best to give them all, every assistance whenever they need it!! :biggrin:

My thoughts exactly. Why does it matter where the CU is if there is a switch fuse unit installed next to the meter. Are you sure they were only saying this because you didn't have a switch fuse unit installed. I don't understand as there main fuse and the meter tails are protected by the switch fuse. Its no different to running a sub main. What about on big projects where you have the meter and CT chamber installed remote to the Main Switch Panel.

My thoughts exactly. Why does it matter where the CU is if there is a switch fuse unit installed next to the meter. Are you sure they were only saying this because you didn't have a switch fuse unit installed. I don't understand as there main fuse and the meter tails are protected by the switch fuse. Its no different to running a sub main. What about on big projects where you have the meter and CT chamber installed remote to the Main Switch Panel.

On the contrary. The CU tails were neatly terminated into a switched fuse in the meter cupboard. Adjacent to the DNO head, meter and on show for anyone to see and find.

With my recent meter move (SEPD) they were fine with a switch fuse and but were insistent it could not go on the dno board. Had the meter box been standard size the sw/f would have had to have been indoors adjacent. So similar to what Murdoch had.

Reply to New Build. Consumer Unit 7 mtrs from Supply Box Installation Advice Required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net