New consumer unit close to gas pipe/meter | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New consumer unit close to gas pipe/meter in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
When replacing a consumer unit. If the current rewireable board is only 80mm from gas pipe/meter can the new board be fitted there or does it have to be moved to comply with the minimum distance of 150mm.
Not possible to fit close if so and would need to be moved over a meter to find space meaning existing cables no chance of reaching.

If it was proximity to the gas meter I could more understand it (due to the small amount of gas leaked when pressure testing the gas system). But not to a pipe. Just makes the bonding easier ;)

Think I'll pay another visit tomorrow and find out exactly what gas supplier has said and have another look myself but sounds as though its getting a little complicated, so now moving the consumer unit might be the best bet. Will update later.

1.The consumer unit, electricity meters, sockets, switches & controls need to be sited 150mm away from the gas pipes and meters.
2. electrical supply and distribution cables at least 25mm away.
This is a gas reg taken from BS6891:2005+A2:2008 clause 8.16.2.
It is also in the on-site guide page 18 Section 2.3
Make safe secure joins on the cables and relocate the consumer unit extending the cables.

Reply to New consumer unit close to gas pipe/meter in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
IMO Better to do something about those ignoring regulations first! Current system is like having a speed limit but not enforcing anyone without a...
Replies
Views
Thanks all for your comments, advice and suggestions. The following is probably pretty boring for most, and is simply a summary of how the job...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you, that's a really helpful post, nice & clearly stated and helps me clear up a lot of confusion on this matter.
2 3
Replies
Views
  • Question
1 Victorian property split into 2 flats, hence the mess and the confusion. Previous installation was from last century. The DNO cut out, the meter...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had this the other day. Needed to replace the old fusebox right next to the incoming gas pipe. Looks like they had a smart gas meter fitted...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks