New guidance note? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New guidance note? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wurthie

Hi everyone does anybody know about a new guidance note that is coming out in October. My brother is law is going to be made redundant in 4 weeks time due to this guidance note? I havn't heard anything about it but apparently it extends the time for testing ie 1 year to 5 years etc . The company is making 60 people redundant. Does anyone know anything about it? Thanks in advance.

I take it you mean that your brother works for a PAT company yes ? and that he is being made redundant due to the test intervil time being expanded if so yes there is a new Code of Practice coming out plus the HSE has just completed a review on their own PAT testing and think there is no need to test some equipment and lengthen the time between tests for other equipment the only catch is it is not a definitive statement in other words its a fudge because they say its your decision yep clear as mud

I'm interested about the new code of practice coming out, i work carrying out PAT testing..i've been telling blokes on my firm about these changes yet no one seems bothered..is this gonna be the end of PAT testing companies??
I'm just glad ive been attending college an gettting my 2330 level 2 and level 3 under my belt,as it seems PAT testing industry is for a major over-haul...

I'm interested about the new code of practice coming out, i work carrying out PAT testing..i've been telling blokes on my firm about these changes yet no one seems bothered..is this gonna be the end of PAT testing companies??
I'm just glad ive been attending college an getting my 2330 level 2 and level 3 under my belt,as it seems PAT testing industry is for a major over-haul...

I thought the same but HSE really blew it as they fudged the the review but yes people are starting to question this and at the same time PAT is at saturation point so hence why you will see some companies go to the wall because some of the big customers in the know are holding off on doing their PAT every year

I've just carried out a pat test at a school, and they also decided to leave the office equipment out. The problem I see is that this school continues to shuffle rooms and move equipment possibly trapping cables etc. Therefore not really a good move, but everybody wants to save money...so I just made notes on his certificate.. See what happens.

It's inevitable. The conclusion of the Lofstedt report was over compliance - the objective now is to reduce the frequency of testing and inform the employers on the true requirements needed. All which should result in work now complying with the code of practice.

Millions of appliances are potentially going to be removed from the annual circulation - so jobs will go.

Yep i figured that out but you would think they would be more definitive with regards to frequency and rental properties as this would help me.

Appliance to remove will be the phone charger type units and some double insulated as i feel testing them is a waste of time when you can do a visual and check the fuse

what will happen is that people will just stop getting any PAT testing done at all, only the very few considerate company managers will get PAT testing done for the safety of the staff and users/customers......the rest will adopt the "why should I" attitude.....why should I get PAT testing done when the health and safety says that I don't need to.....which is basically whats is happening now....
The bigger companies have financial planners who will decide quickly that it is an unnecessary waste of money and give it the one two chop chop....
The gov't decided that they would make some "action noises" and have been looking for things to pile up in terms of "making things easier by cutting red tape for industry" so they have been looking for easy targets and easy things to cancel to add to a list of "relaxation of regulations" to make business "work better" ......very easy to change things like this around, just tell people its no longer needed and effectively cancelled.....they go "woo hoo save money " and that's a few brownie points added and some "affirmative action" carried out....

Yep i figured that out but you would think they would be more definitive with regards to frequency and rental properties as this would help me.

A new site consideration of hire equipment has been done, it's not published till November though I believe.

Thanks for the info peeps! He was going to start up his own company doing pat testing but he's going to put it on hold until the situation is sorted. I think he will be waiting a long time!

I think we need to all "calm down" - changes to the C of P are due out in November and I've pre-ordered my copy.

If it decreases the frequency of Inspection and Testing for a whole lot of equipment, who can honestly say they didn't see it coming.

But as always its better to put a positive spin on the whole issue - although it will sound the death knell for the £1 per label brigade, because of their methods.

By reducing frequency of Inspection and Test on appropriate items it will demonstrate to our clients that we have their best interests at heart - and therefor they would be more willing to put work our way.

I apply the same practice by informing new and potential customers on the current reduced frequency for IT equipment, as compared to other outfits who bang away every year regardless - and I find it pays dividends.

Last edited:

Reply to New guidance note? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net