New Member looking for guidance | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New Member looking for guidance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Q3kev

-
Reaction score
Hi to everybody.
After some 32 years in the electrical industry, mainly industrial but some occasional domestic stuff I decided to try something slightly different and went into teaching electrical engineering, some of which involves NVQ work including some electrical testing. After nearly 5 years I have decided it's no longer what I want to do and so am looking at going self employed in the domestic field. I've just passed my 2382-12 and am now looking at the 2394 0r 2395 before finishing with the Part P course. Would anyone recommend a different route or is this the best line to go down. I have tried booking onto the 2391 but think I've missed the boat now and I am not particularly bothered about industrial work anymore.
PS: My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in the many forum tangent threads but it is my first post.

Firstly, welcome aboard.
You're right mate this has been done to death and continues to do so, have a little dig on the forum and see what you come up with or maybe even look at the NAPIT/Elecsa/NIC websites direct. If you have any questions then fire away.
As you've been teaching elec eng would it be a safe bet on you being degree qualified. If so, in that position I'd be looking at worldwideworker.com or one of the many other sites that cover working overseas

Hi Guys, thanks for quick replies. I am qualified to HNC only and due to internal politics and target driven policies the job is no longer enjoyable, hence me wanting to get out. I am 52 now and looking to draw my industry pension and then supplement this with part time electrcial work.

I understand where you are coming from i was in a good paying job but management were determined to muck it up plus it was shift work and it was killing me so one day I said thats it enough is enough and started a small electrical repair business now I am not earning the same money but I make a living and I am happy but the guys are right it is tough plus i am fortunate that I can do alarm systems BMS/HVAC controls and building maintenance and it may be to do with the current environment but there is a lot of guys who want to be an electrician in 5 weeks and if they have a problem they find their way on to the forum so this is not helping one bit as they need learn.

I have found that incompetent management is rife in the public as well as private sector and is getting worse. My rising blood pressure is also another reason for getting out. I have manged to find a couple of threads on training/quals now and will look at doing the 2394 then maybe the 2395. I don't believe doing the Part P is strictly necessary due to my experience and current quals. Do you agree?

Last edited:
If you're installing to BS7671 as amended you're installing to part p mate. It sounds to me like you're already qualified and experienced enough to know that the course generally known as part p is a load of old guff

Reply to New Member looking for guidance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net