New RCD Cu...every circuit tripping RCD | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New RCD Cu...every circuit tripping RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Diode

I just fitted a new RCD Cu and the ring, and lights etc trip the RCD when powered up. The only things that don't trip it are the new shower circuit, the emmersor and the power to the heating timer. The ring trips it and so does the lighting when powered. I've had to modify the board so that the RCD only does the shower for now but I'd like to have my sockets on it too and perhaps the lighting. It's a 2 bedroom house from about the 70's with original wiring I'd say.

Still no word from the OP........

And you probably wont get any reply I am amazed the ammount of people who come on the forum give you half the information and then do not get back to say this was the problem and as previous posts what testing did you do before you energised the board I hope it is not testing by RCD ie if it trips you have a fault if it does not then ok

Perhaps we should only give out tech advice in 'the arms'? I'm getting really hacked off with the DIYer coming on for us to sort out problems from their dodgy work. After all, if you give out tech advice to a DIYer then you are putting domestic sparks out of a potential job.

- - - Updated - - -

Problem is the DIYers who masquerade as sparks

They wouldn't be able to in 'the arms' or an equivalent lounge.

This is rife up and down the country,i had a bloke ask me for a quote for a c u upgrade,he was in the process of rewiring his house,asked can i sign off his work/give him tips as another sparks was showing him the way,well no was my answer,part p should have more exposure in the press,but i cant see that happening,what excatly do these schemes do with the money,for sure they dont use it for what its intended for...

Well with my tin hat on the name of this forum is 'Electricians Forum' not 'Electrical Forums' so perhaps technical questions should be contained in a locked forum just for sparks to enter in to like the 'Arms' the problem is...how do we validate a new member ?..ask said member to email a copy of a qualification or course they are on ? personally I wouldn't want to deny training sparks from asking questions but I feel uncomfortable about diyers asking what are potentially dangerous fault finding questions

J

If we have a look at the home page of this site it is quite clear that this site is intended for Professional electricians,and trainees etc,and says electricity can kill,so admin have done all they can,in the current economic climate(how many times have we heard this phrase)diy joe will do whatever they intend to do and try it on regardless.I never get involved with answering some of the questions as posed in this thread because we know that the op has no idea,all we need to say is contact your local qualified electrician,only my opinion

Agreed. Unless they demonstrate good electrical knowledge and terminology the answer should be 'get a qualified, approved if necassary, electrician in and pay them.

Shooting ourselves in the foot otherwise.

I'm not a pro-sparks so can't use the Arms forum, but I'm currently training and love using the forum to get advice as well as put my training to use by trying to answer other peoples questions.

On one hand I agree, this forum isn't for helping DIYers who aren't qualified and never intend to be, but on the other I'd not like to see trainees like myself not having a place to ask for advice...

Reply to New RCD Cu...every circuit tripping RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net