New wifi light switch need neutral wire | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New wifi light switch need neutral wire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

notShai

DIY
Reaction score
Got an outside light I want to be able to control from the phone, got a wifi switch which is asking for a white neutral wire.
Just moved to this house which was built in the 60s. The box it's in has white cluster of wires not sure if those are neutral or something else.
1. Are they neutral? Can I connect to those?
2. If not, can I ignore the neutral requirement or wire it differently?

[ElectriciansForums.net] New wifi light switch need neutral wire

TL;DR
No neutral wire what are my options
At a guess, I’d say the white bundles are neutrals…. So you’re good to go…

I really don’t know how other countries manage without sleeving their earth wires… just look like too much bare copper to me, and too much exposed terminal screw.

At a guess, I’d say the white bundles are neutrals…. So you’re good to go…

I really don’t know how other countries manage without sleeving their earth wires… just look like too much bare copper to me, and too much exposed terminal screw.
thank you!
1. how do i test a wire for being "neutral"? i have a meter thing w the leads
2. would i need to separate 4 white wires from the cluster and connect one (anyone?) to my switch? or just add a jumper to the cluster (nut) and connect to my switch?

If it’s a two prong voltage tester, you can test between what you know to be the “hot” wire and the neutrals, and you will read your supply voltage.

However, this is dangerous work for someone with little experience.

Just take my word for it.

Before doing anything- turn off the power at your panel.

All the whites need to stay together. You would need to add another one from your switch… it looks like it comes with wires attached… so just add its white wire to your collection.

The switch has two blacks(?) one will be the live in, and the other the load out. It doesn’t look like it matters which way round they are connected… but you’ll need another two wire nuts I think.

If it’s a two prong voltage tester, you can test between what you know to be the “hot” wire and the neutrals, and you will read your supply voltage.

However, this is dangerous work for someone with little experience.

Just take my word for it.

Before doing anything- turn off the power at your panel.

All the whites need to stay together. You would need to add another one from your switch… it looks like it comes with wires attached… so just add its white wire to your collection.

The switch has two blacks(?) one will be the live in, and the other the load out. It doesn’t look like it matters which way round they are connected… but you’ll need another two wire nuts I think.
You were correct those are neutral wires, it worked!
Many thanks

Reply to New wifi light switch need neutral wire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net