NICEIC domestic installer | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss NICEIC domestic installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CrawleyGuy

I've been an electrician's mate for the past couple of years and now I'm interested in joining NICEIC domestic installer scheme.
Can anybody here tell me what the assessment is like? And what kind of work they want to look at? Cheers

I don't think anythings confirmed yet but they are supposed to be tightening up the requirements from January - as above, theres plenty of discussion on it on here - depends on what quals you've got.

They want to look at 2 jobs at different addresses, 1 minor and 1 major, so outdoor light and cu change are common ones people choose. One of the jobs can be in your own home.

How the assessment goes depends on the local assessor. They will check your paperwork - quals, insurance, part p document, regs book + osg etc. then ask you theory questions on the regs (special locations are popular), part p and testing. Then have a look at your handy work and get you to go through your testing - asking questions about your results as your going along, eg you've got xx as the Ze and its a TNS, what is maximum and if it was TT would it be acceptable - where do you find it etc. Then finally they'll have a look at your certs.

Then wipe brow, let out sigh of relief and pub.

Cheers mate, I've got my 17th etc.. so looks like I'd better get cracking if they're going to change stuff next year.
I only ask because I've been told conflicting information.
Kinda what I guessed though, CU change for the major assessment and some kind of lighting for the minor, not too bad. Best brush up on my testing and regs then!

Had the NIC assess me a few months ago to gain our approved contractor status. I wouldnt worry yourself to much, its nowhere near as bad as you think its going to be.
Aslong as you can test with a good knowledge of how and why you are doing it you'll be fine. Plus knowing the basics from BS7671 will help a great deal because they like to chuck questions at you.

I had my assement 10 days ago and i have to admit that i was very nervous indeed, more so than my wedding day! (don't tell the wife). But i have to say that the guy from the NICEIC was absolutely brilliant, he made me feel at ease, he told me it wasn't that long ago he was in my shoes. JUST MAKE SURE you have 10mm bonding inside the property to gas and water, 16mm Main earth. Also make sure you print out document P, and all the other paperwork they ask for, they are really fussy about that. Also learn the test procedure inside out, i bought their dvd which was really good, i watched it a 1000 times. Also get green on site guide and green regs.

Also the inspector phoned me to book the assessment himself. I asked him several questions which i think helped my application.
i am still awaiting my registration details so i am very new to this, but i know how you are feeling. Just be confident in your knowledge, he will soon point you in the right direction. He doesn't expect you to know everything just how to find out the right answer in BS7671 17th edition.

Hope that's a help

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been an electrician's mate for the past couple of years and now I'm interested in joining NICEIC domestic installer scheme.
Can anybody here tell me what the assessment is like? And what kind of work they want to look at? Cheers

call each scam find the cheapest think napit are and less hassle nic make there own rules up along side the regs and charge for it

call each scam find the cheapest think napit are and less hassle nic make there own rules up along side the regs and charge for it

^^I constantly see people writing on here that the NIC are a nightmare and make up their own rules and are all ogres waiting for you to make one little slip up so they can fail you and sqeeze a bit more ££ out of you, im sure its from people who have never had an NIC assessment in their life or where just not good enough at the time and failed but remain in denial of the fact

my experience has been totally the opposite, when i have my assessment my area engineer has been fine, and very supportive, we have good discussions about the work i have done, how i under took it and any problems i have encountered throughout the year and how he would of tackled them, all my previous DI assessors have been the same, i have not had one ogre yet!

to fail an assessment you have to really make a serious mistake, or lots of smaller ones

They are very ---- about paperwork etc but you should have this in place anyway

and how could they possibly fail you as long as you are complying with the regs??

what rules of their own have they 'made up'

Last edited by a moderator:
^^I constantly see people writing on here that the NIC are a nightmare and make up their own rules and are all ogres waiting for you to make one little slip up so they can fail you and sqeeze a bit more ££ out of you, im sure its from people who have never had an NIC assessment in their life or where just not good enough at the time and failed but remain in denial of the fact

my experience has been totally the opposite, when i have my assessment my area engineer has been fine, and very supportive, we have good discussions about the work i have done, how i under took it and any problems i have encountered throughout the year and how he would of tackled them, all my previous DI assessors have been the same, i have not had one ogre yet!

to fail an assessment you have to really make a serious mistake, or lots of smaller ones

They are very ---- about paperwork etc but you should have this in place anyway

and how could they possibly fail you as long as you are complying with the regs??

what rules of their own have they 'made up'

Welchyboy agree with the above mostly, our area engineer very helpful and supportive etc, but the hassle with the change from PIR's to EICR's when they didn't have the new forms sorted and told everyone to carry on using the old PIR's for an extra 6 months could be seen as making up the rules? The directive was from the helpline and they wouldn't give any sort of cover note to back you up that you could still use them. I'm sure experiences vary across different areas but I thought that was abit rubbish tbh

Is this not Overkill now guys? I'm almost Driven to tears by the times I've read similar threads. I know I should look at The man in the mirror before I criticise and believe me it's not my intention to.
I wanna be sedated

To be honest this thread is just amazing me!! We have a guy that hasn't a meaningful qualification to his name, has been working as a mate for a couple of years, but now wants to be registered as a competent person/electrician that will allow him to go into people home's to undertake electrical work and to self certify himself!!!! ...Hell why even do a 17 day course, let alone a 5 or 7 week course!!

Something is very, very seriously wrong here!! This sort of back door crap has just got to be stopped, Full Stop!!

I had my assement 10 days ago and i have to admit that i was very nervous indeed, more so than my wedding day! (don't tell the wife). But i have to say that the guy from the NICEIC was absolutely brilliant, he made me feel at ease, he told me it wasn't that long ago he was in my shoes. JUST MAKE SURE you have 10mm bonding inside the property to gas and water, 16mm Main earth. Also make sure you print out document P, and all the other paperwork they ask for, they are really fussy about that. Also learn the test procedure inside out, i bought their dvd which was really good, i watched it a 1000 times. Also get green on site guide and green regs.

Also the inspector phoned me to book the assessment himself. I asked him several questions which i think helped my application.
i am still awaiting my registration details so i am very new to this, but i know how you are feeling. Just be confident in your knowledge, he will soon point you in the right direction. He doesn't expect you to know everything just how to find out the right answer in BS7671 17th edition.

Hope that's a help

Hi, Which certificates you using at assessment? I mean a copy of NICEIC certificate or sample form from Reg's.

Reply to NICEIC domestic installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net