No Circuit Breaker - deal breaker ? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss No Circuit Breaker - deal breaker ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GinALing

DIY
Reaction score
HI , potential 2 bed 1970’s bungalow buyer here….

Our surveyor (RICS) has pointed out there is no circuit breaker to the electrics (fuse board, meter etc. installed in garage). Please see crappy photo attached. Vendor bought property in 2005, and, looking at the photo, the installation does NOT look to be from the original build era.

I’ve asked to see the EICR from vendor but yet to have a reply.

I guess I have 3 questions for you.
Is this lack of a CB a C1?
Would we have to install one ?
Would that then entail a full rewire?

I’m obviously wanting to renegotiate the selling price - any opinions from you guys will be really instructive . Thank you

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] No Circuit Breaker - deal breaker ?
    IMG_3003.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 79
As others have already said the condition of the installation some 30-50 years on can very between "OK, but dated, not enough sockets" to "shoddy mess of DIY and other work", so the fact the CU is quite dated is not really your biggest concern.

If you do buy this property you will want to change it for various reasons, ranging from improving safety (even if currently "adequate") to part of a total rewiring job if you decide/realise there are simply not enough sockets and lights, and/or where you want them.

If you might rewire or do any sort of major job, then please do it first - before you consider decorating and new carpets!

As others have already said the condition of the installation some 30-50 years on can very between "OK, but dated, not enough sockets" to "shoddy mess of DIY and other work", so the fact the CU is quite dated is not really your biggest concern.

If you do buy this property you will want to change it for various reasons, ranging from improving safety (even if currently "adequate") to part of a total rewiring job if you decide/realise there are simply not enough sockets and lights, and/or where you want them.

If you might rewire or do any sort of major job, then please do it first - before you consider decorating and new carpets!
Yes, thank you. This place is for my mother whose only focus is a new kitchen whilst myself & sis look at those electrics and think otherwise !

Reply to No Circuit Breaker - deal breaker ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back