no CPC on lights, - switches for class 2? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss no CPC on lights, - switches for class 2? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm looking at the options for customer who has no CPC on lights as is quite common. I know the ESC "good practice guide" - and that all makes good sense.

However most light switches with exposed screws into metal back boxes (where metal box is unearthed because no CPC), would therefore be class 1. - I am looking here at a standard light switch directly outside the airing cupboard door (metal tank therein, touchy both maybe.. ).

Q) Might the ones with small plastic plugs (eg LAP 2-Gang 2-Way 10AX Light Switch White | NoLinkingToThis) be classified as Class 2 for the point of this exercise and be a suitable swap? They are not advertised as class 2, probably uncertified as that, but a safer bet than ones with exposed screw heads? (at least till someone looses the weeny button thingy) .

A related question. I guess BC lampholders are intrinsically class 1, but as they are right up there in the ceiling, what's the likelihood of Mrs Jones touching both the metal surround of her light holder (just as it fails L-E), and her radiator? If I assume normal length arms, I think we are safe here.. Where does one draw the line?

I sometimes come across installs where the circuit itself has a cpc, but 3-core (not t&e) cabling has been dropped some switches for 2-way lighting with no cpc at the switch. Had a chat with Elecsa a while back about this, and it's quite acceptable to fit switches with plastic caps, along with a sticker on the backbox itself stating that no metal accessories are to be fitted. Not ideal, but a practical solution in many cases.

Definitely, but at least you can suggest it and note it on your report.

That way if Mr johnson fits his new brushed chrome faceplates later in the year then gets a zap its been noted that you suggested a 'better' solution. Or maybe not. :)

Definitely, but at least you can suggest it and note it on your report.

That way if Mr johnson fits his new brushed chrome faceplates later in the year then gets a zap its been noted that you suggested a 'better' solution. Or maybe not. :)

be another muppet out of the way then.

They dont go fast enough to warrant a seat belt, besides you have to get past that big steering wheel before you go through the windscreen LOL

haha. my 1962 lotus cortina Mk1 flattened out at 125mph. ( before the stupid 70 limit, i hasten to add )

Well im afraid I would be off. You have got to stick with what you think is right & what you would except yourself & not sell your sole for a few pounds.

This is the trouble be the regs, it is down to your own interpretation, no wonder customers get confused.

Reply to no CPC on lights, - switches for class 2? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net