No live testing except where it's a must | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss No live testing except where it's a must in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lol another note failed many by calc but when tested its always lower, Money making skeem in the making, Max Ze in TN-s in regs not measured and then Dead test R1+R2 you try...much bigger usually

Where in god's name, do these collage lecturers come from these days?? If they aren't instilling personal scaremongering into students on exporting PME and not to use the armour of a SWA cable as the CPC, they're teaching crap like this!!

my employers will NOT accept calculated readings where live testing can be done, however they do have strict safe working procedures, including safe isolation and locking off, even if your the only person present.

i thought test leads ARE considered safe to work live because of the 2mm exposed end, and the slip barriers they have.

the earth neutral line procedure was taught to me back in the 80's, very safe procedure to adopt

I have a few friends who are farriers.A job NOT without deadly risks.But nobody has ever suggested that safety would be improved by shooting the horse,inverting it and THEN shoeing. I think the need to speed up and shallow-off training has caused these knee-jerk panic based ideas on risk-limiting. The good lord made the human body conductive to ensure we keep thinking...

Its called a decay test so yes your quite correct and they do lol
Yep done it loads with my old man, connect manometer up to test point on meter turn on tap to pressurise line turn off tap and note reading, you are only allowed a very small drop over something like 2 minutes,loved doing them and trying to find the leak.

Do you agree that we only should be working dead when establishing the Zs for final circuits other than socket outlet circuits? That is, don't use the line, neutral and earth probes of the E/L tester except for Ze and Ipsc. Simply add R1+R2 to Ze.
No I do not.
However I don't believe that if someone else wishes to conduct their testing in such a manner that they shoud not do so.
I believe that it is indicated in GN3 that calculation of Zs is acceptable.
However my belief is that the schedule is for test results, not for calculations.

Call me sceptical but it seems to me H&S officers spend their working day trying to come up with initiatives under the guise of 'making things safer' to justify their job, which are often counter productive. The reason we test circuits is to ensure they're safe; if you're not testing then how do you know if the installation is safe for a 'normal person' to use? To make an electrical installation safer if anything you need more testing, not less, and for the person doing the testing to be able to understand the results and not just write them down - "OK, TN-C-S, Zs=10Ω. Fine, write it down, next..."
As spinlondon says it's a schedule of test results, not a schedule of calculations.
If some jobsworth wants to reduce the risk of electric shock then why not just forgo electricity altogether and have everybody tripping over themselves in the dark?
The best thing they can do is draw up a method statement for testing, eg only skilled people in the building at the time of testing or appropriate use of barriers and warning signs. It'll soon go to pot when everyone finds it inconvenient.

Last edited by a moderator:
A ex colleague of mine who had just finished college had been told that r1 and r2 testing was potentially dangerous as you are altering a potentially safe circuit and possibly creating a fault if the circuit is incorrectly reinstated.

I persume whoever told him this told him it was to be worked out using the zs values which op has been told is unsafe to obtain

H+S gone mad

Complete madness, I constantly work live on 600V D.C equipment fault finding. If I was not allowed to work live I could not do my job. The stupid thing is i'm not allowed (quallified yet) to do anything domestic lmao.
.....Andy;~)

It's H&S gone mad if properly trained people cannot work live where necessary eg testing out then how can H&S possibly allow ordinary untrained people to use anything powered by electricity in the workplace.We know how dangerous it is and how to handle it safely,how many people do you see who plug something in and dont bother checking if it's ok,or using mains electric with water about!

Do you agree that we only should be working dead when establishing the Zs for final circuits other than socket outlet circuits? That is, don't use the line, neutral and earth probes of the E/L tester except for Ze and Ipsc. Simply add R1+R2 to Ze.

If you consider yourself competent then just get on with it

when its just the odd light switch...i get a few, replacing faceplates for chrome whilst doing other jobs for the customers...i literally never isolate the circuit when changing a faceplate ever, health and safety would sh!* a kitten if they saw me doing this now a days then ha.

biff, thats archys passport photo :38:

No live testing is just h and s gone mad and, in my opinion, another dumbing down of our trade to allow semi skilled operatives to carry out work with nothing more than basic theoretical knowledge. During my 4 year apprentiship i was taught to respect electricity, provided with on the job training and allowed to practice the skills i was taught in a safe enviorment under supervision before finally being allowed to do it for real. I was taught the necessary skills to carry out live testing, and in certain circumstances, work live! You cant teach all that on a short course hence the recomendations we keep being told.

Complete madness, I constantly work live on 600V D.C equipment fault finding. If I was not allowed to work live I could not do my job. The stupid thing is i'm not allowed (quallified yet) to do anything domestic lmao.
.....Andy;~)

Great isn't it.
I can test live at 11KV and like you can't do anything domestic (electrical).

To be honest I'd rather pay someone to do any domestic work I want doing.
Anyone any good at washing, cleaning, decorating, gardening, etc. Anything barring the cooking, I enjoy that.

Wonder why I'm divorced?

Stupid h&s rules suggesting skilled electricians are not capable of doing live tests on the terminals of a FCU and removing discretion and common sense could become more damaging to the quality and reputation of other inspectors and testers then to the health of those wet behind the ears

I would personally question the testing methods of those who hold the new equivalent of the 2391. When I did the qualification about 5 years ago there was stuff you were taught that wasn't for the good of the quality of your craft it's just there to cover someone's arse

Let's have a bit of common sense people! !

Haha, nah i like to see how quick i can tighten the common screw down with an uninsulated 70year old flat-head. I'm down to about a second now, you may call me a darn-right lunatic and idiot but its benefitial - it's improving my screwing speed. :38: my god im sad, its late haha.

Yeah, insulated lol.

Reply to No live testing except where it's a must in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net