no rcd for periodic. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss no rcd for periodic. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sp4rk13

no rcd present on any circuits. doing a periodic. should i advise this is code 1 cos this is how it should be or code4 cos it was right at time of install? please help

Probably need to use some degree of experience with these sistuations - if the lack of RCD is not causing any major problem i.e. no external sockets or sockets that could be used to supply external equipment then probably a code 4 as it does not comply with current regs but is not cause for danger or concern. If however there are good reasons for an Rcd to be fitted it could be a code 2 as requires attention. And if the installation is in poor condition or there is a major reason for fitting an Rcd it should be a Code 1.
Also if you list a code 1 you are stating that the installation is basicly dangerous and requires imediate attention, and should you therefore be leaving it in that condition?

Hope it helps, bit a of a grey area really.

Assuming it's not a TT system I would only code 1 for a socket outlet expected to supply equipment outdoors....all else would be a code 4.
Others may differ.I'ts up to the tester to use his judgement in the end.

A present and immediate danger

Some people give code ones that sometimes are a little puzzling to me

Occasionally devaiations that have been present for years and accepted as adequate in the past

Rcds are a relatively new type of protection
There has been many installations where they were not required
For these to be given a code 1 is over the top in my thinking

chloebear gave a sensible sparks view to the matter

The circumstances must play a large part in the same deviations being coded differently for various installations.
But lack of Rcd if the main protective measure of adequate earthing and bonding is ok being a code 1
No

thanks. more than likely a lawn mower will be used but I thought of changing the faceplate on on socket too an rcd one. its an employed greenkeeper maintaining the grounds. he would therefore be the appointed skilled person and instructed too use this speciffic socket for his external work. would this be o.k. Once again for anybody ordering the work cost is an issue. I most deffinitely will advise and quote for an rcd install. and recommend its a saftey issue. in the meantime i will issue a code 4.

No RCD protection to socket outlets, I would attribute a code 2, cables buried in walls etc etc a code 4.

Our NIC inspector told us any code 2 would mean an unsatisfactory,and as RCD protection to all socket outlets is a recent requirement I would be uncomfortable giving an unsatisfactory to an installation wired less than 5 years ago ,where only the ground floor sockets were RCD protected. Previous to 2008 it was only necessary to RCD sockets which may be reasonably expected to supply equipment outdoors.

Our NIC inspector told us any code 2 would mean an unsatisfactory,and as RCD protection to all socket outlets is a recent requirement I would be uncomfortable giving an unsatisfactory to an installation wired less than 5 years ago ,where only the ground floor sockets were RCD protected. Previous to 2008 it was only necessary to RCD sockets which may be reasonably expected to supply equipment outdoors.

You've just stated you'd code it as 1.......

What I meant was an absence of an RCD to a ground floor socket outlet circuit in particular would be no more than a 2 in my book as it's not an ever present and immediate danger, all others would be a 4.

The ESC reccomend a 2 also, but in different circumstances from job to job who's to say.

More often than not there'll either be an RCD on everything or none at all

Last edited by a moderator:
In retrospect I would agree and probably code 2 sockets likely to supply equipment outdoors which were not RCD protected,not code 1 as my previous post.I think a non-rcd'd external socket would represent sufficient hazard to warrent an unsatisfactory which a code 2 would. Sockets not likely to supply equipment outdoors would be a 4 as you say.

Its a code 4, as stated the regs are not retrospect.....

now where is that guide,very usefull, I thin kit can be found on the electrical safety web site, it is called Periodic inspection reporting recommendation codes for domestic electrical installations.

I found this very easy to read and well writen

Just out of interest, the PIR I just finished had no RCD I gave it a code 4 as 15th edition instal, however also given a code 4 was the huge great 150W bulb with a paper lampshade!!!!

I removed the lampshade and made a big note that this was an outragous fire hazard and removed from service!

Should this have had a code????? My guide does not help on that front!!!

Last edited:
True, but for some reason the question has been put at the end of the thread rather than starting a new thread!

But to answer the question, its probably a minimum of code 3 and potentially code 2 ..... all is revealed in the guidance given in the electrical safety first publication (as was ESC!)

True, but for some reason the question has been put at the end of the thread rather than starting a new thread!

But to answer the question, its probably a minimum of code 3 and potentially code 2 ..... all is revealed in the guidance given in the electrical safety first publication (as was ESC!)

tapatalk likes to play games with us like that sometimes

This post is 4 years old as Paul young once said " Everything must change "

Sorry guy's i didn't see anything between the last post in 2010 and Shanky's reply!

Reply to no rcd for periodic. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net