Non-electrician needs advice please. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Non-electrician needs advice please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Midgemum

My Mum recently purchased a "Lifemax High Vision Reading Light 250.1 Floor Standing High Vision Reading Light". I'm concerned because once she has turned it off with the built-in switch it intermittently flashes a weak light. I returned the first one I purchased with the same "fault" but now I'm unsure that this is a fault as this is from a different supplier. I have plugged it into other sockets but it continues to pulse a weak flash once turned off. Please advise as I'm concerned that the lamp may give my Mum a shock but as she's loving reading by the natural light it's hard to tell her that it has to be returned again.

Thanks for your time and any help.

This is quite common with fluorescent lighting, and not necessarily a 'fault' with the product.
There is no increased risk of electric shock, but if you specifically need the light to be completely off via the switch a device called a 'snubber' can be fitted, although this may be something you will need to make yourself out of a capacitor and resistor, and may affect the warranty of the product.

Some types of compact fluorescent or LED lights can pick up enough energy by inductive or capacitive coupling to flash as you describe, although I've not heard of a free standing light doing this. It's very unlikely to be a safety issue. Contact the manufacturer or importer of the light and see what they say.

edit: beaten to it by Adam W

Welcome Midge, I'm not familar with the product but from what you say it must have a low energy lamp fitted. similar things happen on lamps when a neon type switch is fitted somewhere on the circuit so i suspect this is all that is happening in your situation.
this is only a guess but i would think either something else plugged in somewhere is most likely giving a small backcharge on the circuit and is not anything to be concerned about but can just be a pain with the flicker. just unplug it when not in use is the only answer.

Thank you all, my Mum is so pleased that she can keep the lamp without worrying about an electric shock. The intermittent flash of weak light doesn't bother her but the thought of her getting shocked bothered me a lot!

Reply to Non-electrician needs advice please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net