Not dead! What wire to use when spurring a circuit onto additional sockets? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Not dead! What wire to use when spurring a circuit onto additional sockets? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

liamj2003

What wire to use when spurring a circuit onto additional sockets?

I dont want to reopen this thread for discussions on ego sharing... but to let you know

1. I'm not dead or flame bait!
2. Wasn't aware until just today of the discussions that followed the orginal thread.
3. I purchased 2.5 t+e as first recommended from B&Q and was recommended it by the electrical guy there when I asked what to use.
4. I started backwards to the live spurring socket but havent actually even touched it, just threaded wire through walls, bolstered out for the back boxes and connected dead sockets, then called my electrician to come to check, he then rightly informed me (on phone) that it could be a radial circuit and different wire might want to be used.(5mm??)
5. Thank you to most of you for some of your comments....... There actually is some old bell wire in my shed, let me know if you want it and Ill stick it up on ebay!!! :D

So waiting for electrician to visit on the off chance he gets (recently retired electrician, pre heart op:()

What advice can you give in the meantime......... Im aware the first maybe to contact a qualified registered engineer in my area thats not about to keel over on the job, maybe you can help me out if your one.... Hastings, UK

Cheers

Liam

I don't know if it's just the sketchy diagram but those cable routes look somewhat 'all over the shop' unless of course that's not what you wanted to hear in which case they're fine.

An unfused spur from a ring must serve no more than ONE twin socket.
A fused spur from a ring (max 13a) may serve an unlimited number of sockets.
Buried cable must be in a safe zone...that is in line vertically or horizontally with an electrical accessory,or within 150mm of the ceiling, or within 150mm of the angle formed by two walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liam I suggest you buy a copy of bs7671 before doing this, or the onsite guide, think about it.....how would a joiner know were to hang his shelves around diagonal cables?

There are no diagonal cables, maybe its just my crappy perspective drawing that makes it look like there is, only horizontal and vertical cables, (and I used a level!):eek:

Well maybe ill turn the single socket Im coming off into a 13amp fused spur, its hidden behind a bookcase and wardrobe anyway. Lets see what an electrician says first.

Thanks

Couple of spurs (if possible) to run the cable and wire it up, aslong as you do the donkey work, I.e chase out for him, and patch back up, I wouldn't be charging more than £100, especially if it's a case of a unotifiable job.

If you wire it, and the kids get a belt, without at minium of 17th edition no judge in the land would deem you competent or even made the effort to become competent.......with no spark there whilst you run these cables you wouldn't be a "instructed person" you would be ruled as bs7671 states in the definition section a "ordinary person"

I once asked the B&Q garden expert if i could have a diesel lawnmower. After about half an hour he said yes, we will call you when we get one in. That was about 5 years ago, and he still hasn't rung.

Cheers............Howard

I once asked the B&Q garden expert if i could have a diesel lawnmower. After about half an hour he said yes, we will call you when we get one in. That was about 5 years ago, and he still hasn't rung.

Cheers............Howard

You'll need to borrow my strimmer then, let some light in!

Cheers............Howard
meanwhile you've got a hairstyle like Mohammed.

Cheers............Howard
perhaps his day job is with the DNO

Reply to Not dead! What wire to use when spurring a circuit onto additional sockets? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net