Not Good practice I know but | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Not Good practice I know but in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lofty84

I changed my parents consumer unit to a new 17th eddition MK one a little while ago. Everything went well and when I turned it all back on there was no problems with any of the rcd tripping so it looked like everything was good and I knew what Iw as doing. Today though I was just being nosey and trying to work out this 2 way lighting mylarkey as its always confussed me so much so I always let someone else do it while I did something else. well anyway I turn of the mcb which I running the downstairs lights and on the right hand side rcd. the upstairs is on the left as you do. well having turned it off and watching the lights go out I set about undoing everything (taking a picture of it before of course) to see if I could work it all out (which I couldnt) and low and behold I got a bloddy shock. Im gonna sound a right cowboy but most of my tools are in my buddys van so I didnt have me voltage/continuity tester to double check and just plouged in as the lights had gone of but as I say I got a shock. Im thinking there must have been a borrowed neautral or something from the lights upstairs somewhere but Im not sure. I didnt want to turn the upstairs light breaker of and then touch it again to find out and obviously I didnt have my tester to see, so I just turnt everything of at the main switch terminated everything back together as per the photo and turned it back on where it all works as before.

Any ideas what is going on and am I right about it being down to a shared neautral somewhere. I will set about finding it if it is but I wont be that till i buy a mft

cheers

Doesn't make sense does it? It's a central requirement of the qualification. Full booth of lighting, and ring final, SWA, tube and singles, trunking, Consumer unit, all from scratch, photographed and tested.

I did it all first time around Level 2 Performing Electrical Operations, or something like that, then again level 3 2330. And again AM2. Then on site again NVQ level 3.

IMO you can't gain 2330 WITHOUT doing booth install. Dunno what OP has done, but he's missed something out somewhere.

exactly, I did a full booth install with steel conduit and trunking, swa supply, consumer unit, singles, RFC, 2 way switched lighting etc etc then all the testing involved! Just doing my 302 inspection and testing exam in less than 2 weeks time! and you would have a lot of background knowledge of how a basic 2 way lighting circuit works... no offence to the OP...

Lofty mate,

Limit the information you post!
You made the fatal mistake of admitting doing work without decent test gear.

Never reveal more than you have to!!!!

Great advice! I learnt ages ago not to mention that I was trained by Pete from the pub and only make sure the power is off by using a volt stick...

Oh, oops... :s

Reply to Not Good practice I know but in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net