NVQ Portfolio Help Unit 115 - Fault Finding | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss NVQ Portfolio Help Unit 115 - Fault Finding in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Radoslav

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m about to complete my portfolio and need some help to get Unit 115 - Fault Finding signed off.
I work in maintenance and we don’t have multi-tester I can use for this module. The assessor brought his when I did Inspection and Testing, but I ran out of time to get one job for 115 as well.
My question is can I use a multimeter for a loose connection fault to prove continuity after fault rectified?
I have voltage tester and clamp-on meter, but I need a third one for the portfolio.
Any help what other instrument will be OK to use would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What testers do you use for fault finding in your job normally?

I would expect an insulation resistance and continuity tester or a multimeter to be acceptable.

Upvote 0
I would only use multimeter and voltage/continuity tester to deal with broken cables, loss of supply and burned out motors, 99% of the time I use the multimeter as I test PLC output signal/voltage or sensor and/or heater resistance. Occasionally will use the clamp-on meter to check current for motors and other circuits.
I thought the multimeter will satisfy the requirement for a third instrument, but not sure if it will pass the IQA stage.

Upvote 0
I'm about to start my write ups for faults I've come across in my workplace and was hoping for a bit of guidance so it reads and sounds professional, but also satisfies the City & Guilds requirements so I don't have to do a lot of correction until I get it right.
One of the faults I will use for my NVQ portfolio will be loose connection/loss of supply. I was carrying out preventive maintenance on one of our air tanks and when I tried to actuate the drain valve noticed it wasn't working and the power supply light wasn't on. I had a look at the fused spur and noticed some black residue on the fuse cover and when I checked the MCB it had tripped out. Tried to take the fuse out but it had melted and had to take the face plate off.
I locked the circuit off and took the face plate off to inspect it and the smell of burning was fairly strong and also quite obvious it was probably arcing and there was heat damage. This was confirmed when I took the plate off as the neutral was loose and terminals melted with the end of the cable. Quick check with the multi-meter confirmed continuity of both conductors from the in terminals to the coil, so I literally cut off the wires stripped them and just put a new face plate and fuse.
Will this information be sufficient to be able to get this signed off, as I haven't used low res. ohm meter but just a multi-meter to confirm continuity. Also voltage tester to confirm there was no power to the coil before I started any remedial work.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I would only use multimeter and voltage/continuity tester to deal with broken cables, loss of supply and burned out motors, 99% of the time I use the multimeter as I test PLC output signal/voltage or sensor and/or heater resistance. Occasionally will use the clamp-on meter to check current for motors and other circuits.
I thought the multimeter will satisfy the requirement for a third instrument, but not sure if it will pass the IQA stage.
Do you not do any planned maintenance where doing an IR test / check on a motor can give early indication of a failing motor

Upvote 0
Unfortunately we don’t have the tools to do that. It is something I’ve been trying to change, but it’s a gradual process and I’m currently focusing more on maintenance procedures and schedule implementation.
I’m qualified electrician but wasn’t familiar with the inspection and testing part of new and existing electrical installations as I completed my education in a foreign country. The condition to accept my employers offer was for them to put me through an apprenticeship so I gain a UK qualification and get full understanding of how to design, test and carry out electrical installations.
I’m lacking the practical knowledge in inspection and testing just because we don’t have the tools to do that in house, but also trying to complete the fault finding module in the portfolio having access only to a clamp-meter, multi-meter and a voltage & continuity tester 😀.
I know it will be my Achilles heel going to the AM2S but also my employer is fully aware without the practical knowledge there is a high chance it could take few tries before I pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately we don’t have the tools to do that. It is something I’ve been trying to change, but it’s a gradual process and I’m currently focusing more on maintenance procedures and schedule implementation.
I’m qualified electrician but wasn’t familiar with the inspection and testing part of new and existing electrical installations as I completed my education in a foreign country. The condition to accept my employers offer was for them to put me through an apprenticeship so I gain a UK qualification and get full understanding of how to design, test and carry out electrical installations.
I’m lacking the practical knowledge in inspection and testing just because we don’t have the tools to do that in house, but also trying to complete the fault finding module in the portfolio having access only to a camp-meter, multi-meter and a voltage & continuity tester 😀.
I know it will be my Achilles heel going to the AM2S but also my employer is fully aware without the practical knowledge there is a high chance it could take few tries before I pass.

Does nobody in your team have the necessary equipment and knowledge to do this?

Upvote 0
No, when I started I was the most qualified technician after my manager, the other lads were machine operators promoted to maintenance due to their setting knowledge.
My manager left not long after and I took over as supervisor, next manager couldn’t even order the correct proving unit and lasted only 6 months. We then employed a bunch of young lads with mechanical qualification mainly due to our tight budget and didn’t replace the manager to save money.
I will get a multifunction tester, but highly likely after Q3 so hopefully will get some practical experience soon 😀.

Upvote 0
No, when I started I was the most qualified technician after my manager, the other lads were machine operators promoted to maintenance due to their setting knowledge.
My manager left not long after and I took over as supervisor, next manager couldn’t even order the correct proving unit and lasted only 6 months. We then employed a bunch of young lads with mechanical qualification mainly due to our tight budget and didn’t replace the manager to save money.
I will get a multifunction tester, but highly likely after Q3 so hopefully will get some practical experience soon 😀.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
Just a quick question on the nvq matter.
Is it acceptable to say I use a continuity tester to prove a short and open circuit or I will defo need to some resistance readings to prove as well?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
You need to get yourself a copy of Inspection and Testing GN3. In Summary

Low resistance ohmmeter
Instruments to BS EN 61557-4 will comply.
Basic instrument accuracy required is +/- 5%
Test voltage ac or dc, between 4 V and 24 V
Test current not less than 200 mA
Able to measure to within 0.01 Ohms (resolution of 0.01)
May be the continuity range of an insulation resistance tester.

You need to speak to your employer, you don't have the required equipment to carry out the work that you do.

As regards to Unit 115 if this is the criteria (google search)

12 Assessment Task 12: Use appropriate instruments correctly to carry out fault diagnosis. Assess all of the following:
12.1 Voltage indicator.
12.2 Low resistance ohmmeter.
12.3 Insulation resistance tester.
12.4 EFLI and PFC tester.
12.5 RCD tester.
12.6 Ammeter.
12.7 Phase rotation tester.
12.8 Multimeter.

You are missing 4 of the above with the equipment you currently have.

Get your firm to purchase the appropriate MFT for the work you do.

Upvote 0
I have the GN3 and all other books. I also know that I need all those instruments and have put a request for a multifunction tester with a lengthy explanation why we need one and also the benefits of having one. Unfortunately as I will be the only trained person knowing how to use it, it makes it a bit less “important” when to comes to authorising purchases of nearly or over £1k that will not pay off in the short term.
The college and my assessor are very well aware of the fact this apprenticeship wasn’t really what I need, but due to my foreign electrical qualification and my company succession planing strategy my former manager acknowledged the fact that in the future I will be dealing with new machine installs and new electrical installation to allow for the expansion of the business therefore he made the decision to put me through the Level 3 Electrotechnical - Installation Apprenticeship as this is the knowledge I was lacking.
Unfortunately after he left I was left on my own and trying to convince people with no engineering background who have just spent nearly 3 million on new machines a multifunction tester is essential. Not an easy task at all.
I know I will get it after Q3 as promised but I am trying to get my portfolio finished ASAP.
The reason I for my question was actually because my assesor said I cannot use multimeter, although I use it for almost every day at work to find out issues and rectify the faults. I guess I’ll have to just put it in my portfolio and wait for the feedback.

Upvote 0
I have the GN3 and all other books. I also know that I need all those instruments and have put a request for a multifunction tester with a lengthy explanation why we need one and also the benefits of having one.

Great, then I am a bit bemused why you posted your original question.

Unfortunately as I will be the only trained person knowing how to use it, it makes it a bit less “important” when to comes to authorising purchases of nearly or over £1k that will not pay off in the short term.

You need to stop doing any work that you cannot properly test, safety is not less "important". Whilst I understand that is not your view point if you continue to do work that is not properly tested then you are equally culpable.

The college and my assessor are very well aware of the fact this apprenticeship wasn’t really what I need, but due to my foreign electrical qualification and my company succession planing strategy my former manager acknowledged the fact that in the future I will be dealing with new machine installs and new electrical installation to allow for the expansion of the business therefore he made the decision to put me through the Level 3 Electrotechnical - Installation Apprenticeship as this is the knowledge I was lacking.
Unfortunately after he left I was left on my own and trying to convince people with no engineering background who have just spent nearly 3 million on new machines a multifunction tester is essential. Not an easy task at all.

Again if you cannot persuade them then refuse to do any work that you cannot correctly test. You mentioned the burnt out Fused Spur you put back in service but have not checked that the Insulation Resistance of the cables wasn't compromised for instance. 3 Million worth of equipment doesn't work well in a burnt out building.

I know I will get it after Q3 as promised but I am trying to get my portfolio finished ASAP.
The reason I for my question was actually because my assesor said I cannot use multimeter, although I use it for almost every day at work to find out issues and rectify the faults. I guess I’ll have to just put it in my portfolio and wait for the feedback.

Because a Multimeter isn't suited to the work you are carrying out and for the training you are currently doing. You will have to restrict yourself to the PL signal / Logic stuff and work that doesn't require any testing until they see sense and get you the equipment you need to do the job.

Upvote 0

Reply to NVQ Portfolio Help Unit 115 - Fault Finding in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net