Do crimped connections in a choc box in an inaccesssible location comply with regulations? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Do crimped connections in a choc box in an inaccesssible location comply with regulations? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The relevant regulations are I think as follows:

BS 7671 513.1: cable joints must be accessible except where allowed by 526.3

which is covered by ...

BS 7671 526.3 (iv) joints made by welding, soldering, brazing or compression (which covers crimped connections)

So far so good. But:

526.5 (iii) Every termination and joint shall be in an enclosure partially formed or completed with non-combustible material.

This I think does not cover a choc box which is as far as I can make out is made of polyproplyne which is combustible.

Am I missing something?

I know you will all say I should use Wago connectors in a Wago box which is obviously correct, but I want to know how I should treat existing inaccessible crimped connections in a choc box in an inspection.

later ...

I found the specification for a Greenbrook CHOC30A which says it conforms To BS EN60670-22, which is the standard for "Boxes and enclosures for electrical accessories for household and similar fixed electrical installations". So these choc boxes comply with BS 7671 526.5 (i) "A suitable accessory complying with the appropriate standard", and are therefore actually OK.

Reply to Do crimped connections in a choc box in an inaccesssible location comply with regulations? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net