Office consumer units! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Office consumer units! in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andrew692003

Another question.

I've seen this done before but just want to check out your thoughts! I'm wiring a building with three seperate floors for three seperate levels of offices all rented by different companies when finished. There is one control room for the whole building. Bearing in mind this is not a complex job and not on the large scale the Hydro Authority are supplying a three phase feed to the building but each floor will be single phase with its own meter!

As I have been informed that all circuits have to be protected by seperate RCBO's, I'm thinking to give me more room in the consumer unit it would be best just to use a 3 phase MEM board and link the busbars at the incomer!

What do you think?

Cheers

Why not go for single phase boards on each floor, also how about 17th edition dual rcd boards instead of rcbo's its much cheaper. Or as a compromise you could go for high integrity boards and offer rcbo's to any dedicated circuits as required.

Don't want to use single phase boards as they are to small I probably have about 15 circuits to each floor, not seen the dual RCD's so I'll check that out today. I'm still thinking just use an MEM board as I'll be using probably at least 100x100 metal trunking and I think it would make the job a lot neater also money seems to be no object on this project.

Thanks for the replies tho lads, much appreciated.

Cheers

Am i right in thinking that you want to use one three phase board for all three floors ? One simple little problem with that, METERING ! I'd go for single phase supply to each floor. Meters in the control room, and dist boards on each floor

Firstly where is the meter at present
Secondly when each floor is sub let will the landlord be charging for useage
If the sublet floors are going to be metered by the supply authority the contact network engineering who will advise you install a ryefield board they will then ask you to cable to each floor (swa) and install 300mm of 150mm trunking they will then install their meters

If the landords paying the supply authority and charing on any of the foregoing can be considered

the guy wants to use a 3 phase board for each floor but link the switch out so l1l2l3 are all fed from the single incomer, nothing wrong with that but you can buy a switch that will fit with this done internally.

Am i right in thinking that you want to use one three phase board for all three floors ? One simple little problem with that, METERING ! I'd go for single phase supply to each floor. Meters in the control room, and dist boards on each floor

Cheers Gizmo, you may want to read the OP again! ;-)

the guy wants to use a 3 phase board for each floor but link the switch out so l1l2l3 are all fed from the single incomer, nothing wrong with that but you can buy a switch that will fit with this done internally.

Thanks for that. I have done this before but just wanted opinions on other ideas. I didn't realise you could get a main switch with the links internally! I'll have a look at that.

Thanks for some of the feedback boys I think I will go for the MEM 3 phase boards to give me a bit more room and with the price of RCBO's I'll check the Regs and see what I can get away with in that respect. The building was built using a 6" kit so I should be ok for the 50mm distance within the partitions and the roof spaces.

Gizmo, you are correct! Each floor will have seperate single phase meters but the owner of the building wants all the services in one room.

Cheers

ps I'll get photos up when its done and then you can give me pelters! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Office consumer units! in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net