Opinion on new MFT | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Opinion on new MFT in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

It doesn't look like an MFT in our sense of the term. On the face of it there is no Ze or PFC function. No RCD testing. You are going to get what you pay for at the end of the day. And it has to be said, it looks cheap too.

For cheap Chinese testers see if you can find an SEW/TMI agent in the UK or maybe on EBay. SEW also come rebranded under numerous names including Toptronic. They're not sexy but they're also not bad and do what they say on the box.

400 quid will get you a new Metrel 3125, with it you'll get a calibration certificate and probably a calibration box, clamp meter, continuity tester, socket adapter, socket tester AND a multi function multimeter that is great as a thermometer and as a paperweight :) Joking aside, I've just picked up one of these online and got that lot. The clamp meter is ok but the Metrel 3125 is really a nice bit of kit. It even has green and red lights on each side of the display to make it easier to see if it's passed or not.

This test kit is basically an Earth Resistance Tester, with a couple of extra functions that you don't normally see with this type of tester. It is NOT a MFT as we know it!!

As Marvo pointed out don't codem all testers made in China, some are quite good, if basic, and are improving all the time. If the truth be known, most of the components used in the well known brands of electrical test gear come directly out of China, but at highly inflated prices!! lol!!

We pay through the nose where I am for test equipment, I recently landed 8 of these loop PSC testers at ZAR1015.00 (about 63 quid) including shipping and tax. They're Taiwanese but so far so good, they're all accurate and they've been reliable.

We pay through the nose where I am for test equipment, I recently landed 8 of these loop PSC testers at ZAR1015.00 (about 63 quid) including shipping and tax. They're Taiwanese but so far so good, they're all accurate and they've been reliable.

Looks ok actually. How do you plan on organising calibration?

We have our own equipment and are certified to self calibrate. All our instruments are functionally checked monthly and we fully calibrate one a year. Being African we have different requirements and rules to the UK although I get the impression the scheme dictates this kind thing for you guys.

Reply to Opinion on new MFT in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net