Outdoor light (PIR?) installation | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Outdoor light (PIR?) installation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

rfears

-
Reaction score
A neighbour has asked me to install an outside security (PIR) light. They have an outdoor twin socket in a weatherproof patt box which has pushouts.

Is it ok (BS7671 etc) to take a feed from this socket to supply an outdoor light? The idea would be to take a feed out (1.5 mm2) through a suitable IP rated gland then surface mount up the wall to a PIR light again suitable IP rated.

Any thoughts gratefully received

If I had to ask this question I would hang my head in shame then sell all my tools on ebay. But, benefit of the doubt the OP could be a first year apprentice looking for guidance on a love job that he/she shouldn't really be doing hence my question

Sorry this was my first real post here.

I'm currently studying with Trade4skills for the relevant quals and, like I said, a neighbour (i.e. DIY) asked me the question.

I've looked through BS7671 for an answer and as far as I can tell it's not obvious. (Please tell me different...)

But then I'm a newby, where do I find the right guidance for something like this?

BTY I advised my neighbour to consult a qualified electrician.

Neither, I'm an experienced DIY who has just signed up for a proper course. I was hoping to get serious information from this group - in this case I told my neighbour to seek qualified advice because I could have bodged it but wanted to to it properly.

Thanks trev1, that's really helpful. I am now "hanging my head in shame then sellingl all my tools on ebay". I'm even less that a first year apprentice, I'm a graduate in Computer Science who is retraining as a proper skilled person doing useful stuff. I asked a sensible question which I could not find a decent answer to in to regs, so posted here. If you can't cope with newby questions then don't answer them!

whenever a cable size is reduced you will need to fuse down appropriately to protect the cable, in this situation a suitably rated fused connection unit.

existing socket - 3a fcu - light, using waterproof stuff glands and conduit.
(given as advise only for something to study - look up on circuit design)

Neither, I'm an experienced DIY who has just signed up for a proper course. I was hoping to get serious information from this group - in this case I told my neighbour to seek qualified advice because I could have bodged it but wanted to to it properly.

if you want to do it properly as you say leave it to a spark! go finish your proper course then you'll know for next time!

Mackers and the others who did not offer advice but criticism

Which is precisely what I told my neighbour, and it's really nice to know that this group is so supportive. I would swear but you're probably not worth it.

Last edited:
Mackers and the others who did not offer advice but criticism

Which is precisely what I told my neighbour, and it's really nice to know that this group is so supportive. I would swear but you're probably not worth it.

good for you mate! surley this is what you should be asking on your course,you admitted your not a spark so giving you advice could endanger your life if you decided to carry out the work also you could be fined!
as for swearing your not allowed!lol

Exactly.

I asked the question here because you guys have the answers and I'm still learning. I don't mind a bit of banter and I wasn't planning to do the job if the forum told me how, I just wanted to know how to do it and if my concept was right and within the regs.

I still haven't had an answer on the technical side (is it OK to take a light feed out of the outside socket etc) but that's OK, I need to study the regs in more detail and come to my own conclusions then I'll check it with my course tutor,

Thanks all, this has been an interesting discussion which can now be closed.

p.s. I managed to avoid effing and blinding which is a first for me...

Last edited:
I asked the question here because you guys have the answers and I'm still learning.

Excellent Start.. no better place to ask questions than to a room full of sparks

I don't mind a bit of banter

then why are you getting irate!! dont feed the idiots and you wont get responses..!

I still haven't had an answer on the technical side

that was answered for you, but you were too busy in your own world going on about crap...! see post 2 and 9
(if you take a supply from a socket protected from a 32/20/16A Mcb you need to Fuse it down to via a FCU to 3/5A)

I need to study the regs in more detail and come to my own conclusions

yes please do this...! nobody knows every thing

p.s. I managed to avoid effing and blinding which is a first for me

i suggest you see a professional about your inability to control anger, not a good mixture when working with customers/electricity/posting on internet forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to give you a push in the right direction:-

Basic reg, the rating of the fuse/mcb MUST be lower than the current carrying capacity of the cable. If your spurring from a socket circuit its probably 2.5mm or 4mm and the cable yours using for the light will probably be 1.5mm, choose the correct size fuse/mcb for this circuit.

Easy option is to put a 3 pin plug on it and plug into the IP rated socket ;).

Thanks trev1, that's really helpful. I am now "hanging my head in shame then sellingl all my tools on ebay".
That quote was not intended as a criticism of or a dig at you it was a response to what the previous poster had said. The bit that was directed at you was where I said "Benefit of the doubt, he could be a first year apprentice looking for guidance on a love job he shouldn't really be doing"
So what you thought was a dig at you was me, in my world anyway, trying to stop someone having a pop. However I hope you will accept my apology for a slight that was never actually intended

That quote was not intended as a criticism of or a dig at you it was a response to what the previous poster had said. The bit that was directed at you was where I said "Benefit of the doubt, he could be a first year apprentice looking for guidance on a love job he shouldn't really be doing"
So what you thought was a dig at you was me, in my world anyway, trying to stop someone having a pop. However I hope you will accept my apology for a slight that was never actually intended

trev - I've just spotted this post, missed it when you first sent it. This particular thread is very embarassing and I'd like to forget it, my responses were ill-considered in general, especially as it was pretty much my first post on the forum.

Reply to Outdoor light (PIR?) installation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net