paxalin | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss paxalin in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hsuelec77

hello

can you use any other material instead of paxalin to go between trunking and top of dbs?:confused:

hello

can you use any other material instead of paxalin to go between trunking and top of dbs?:confused:

There are quite a few modern materials that can substitute Paxalin, ...but for the life of me i can't remember the names of them...lol!! Are you bringing in larger sized single core cables into the DB then??

Last edited by a moderator:
Difficult one, whatever is delivered to site for this purpose always gets called paxolin although it probably isnt anymore!
To be honest, I usualy use 50mm Bushes and couplers, or just 50mm bushes and lockirings with a couple of lockrings between board and trunking, Looks neat but more importantly spaces it of better then paxolin :)

Difficult one, whatever is delivered to site for this purpose always gets called paxolin although it probably isnt anymore!
To be honest, I usualy use 50mm Bushes and couplers, or just 50mm bushes and lockirings with a couple of lockrings between board and trunking, Looks neat but more importantly spaces it of better then paxolin :)

Your probably right on all the newer materials, ....all being called Paxolin...lol!!!

Your method is fine if talking about accommodating a single circuit with a single conductor for each phase etc, but it wouldn't work too well if your working with multiples of parallel conductors for each phase etc. This is quite common when supplying Main Distribution Switchboards from transformers and generators.

For example, using 9 x 95mm per phase and neutral installed on cable tray. Connection from transformer and to Switchboard was via brass glands through paxolin sheets directly on to pre-designed buss bar arrangements.
And this example is by no means the largest number of cables per phase, or the largest cable size, i've had experience of being used on major project distribution schemes. So Paxolin and the substitutes/derivatives still have some good uses in the electrical industry...

Paxolin or Paxoline is generic name for synthetic resin bonded paper or cotton cloth. Other names are Lamitex, Pertinax, Tufnol, Bakolite, Bakelaque, Garolite, Micarta, Pirtoid etc.
I believe originally it was made using a clay, such as caolin/kaolin. Smelled like Calamine lotion when cut or drilled.
Hope this is useful?

Yeah, I was talking about little 125a tpn boards really,

I did some trannys recently that had 3x 630 AWA singles per phase into Ally gland plates, straight onto busbars.
I like looking at it when its done but bloody hell, it can be a nightmare getting those glanded and terminated!

Paxolin or Paxoline is generic name for synthetic resin bonded paper or cotton cloth. Other names are Lamitex, Pertinax, Tufnol, Bakolite, Bakelaque, Garolite, Micarta, Pirtoid etc.
I believe originally it was made using a clay, such as caolin/kaolin. Smelled like Calamine lotion when cut or drilled.
Hope this is useful?

Yep probably not paxolin the stuff we get then, definately no nice calamine scent!

Hope this is useful?

yh thanks mate loads of info

AFAIK you can use whatever you like as long as it's non ferrous, so yes perspex should be fine. To a certain extent and in certain situations you could even use nothing, just cut a slot between where the cables go in.
Reg 521.5.2.

Not really sure, never thought about it to be honest!! I don't think it'll have, or should i say be able to maintain the strength with several gland/cable holes drilled through it, not unless the thickness is there, but then you would need extended gland threads where glands were to be used....

Reply to paxalin in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net