Currently reading:
PDF plans from Architect

Discuss PDF plans from Architect in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GPack

-
Reaction score
Hi,
I've received some plans from an architect for a new build.
He has asked my to draw the location of points on an A1 pdf document that has be printed off.
Any idea how I might do this digitally rather than writing on the actual document? Anyone else do this?

Thanks for your help.

Hi,
He has asked my to draw the location of points on an A1 pdf document that has be printed off.
Any idea how I might do this digitally rather than writing on the actual document? Anyone else do this?

Thanks for your help.
If you are going to do this design, you will need to add your time to the price of the installation, I reckon the Architect is pulling a fast one, Architects do the designing don't they?

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I've never done it using PDFs, but I have used other tools to produce a digital plan.

Within the latest version of Acrobat Reader, there are facilities to comment on a document. Open the document, and open the commenting toolbar. You may have to go to 'More tools' (on my setup this is on the right hand side, same place as I go to use the certificates section I use to sign my minor works certs to prevent them from being changed).

The comments tool bar looks like this:-

upload_2018-5-12_15-16-36.png

There are options for inserting notes, text, freehand drawing and stamps. From what I can see you can import an image to be used as a stamp. Maybe you import some images, stamp the locations of items and then use free-hand drawing to link them up.

I've never done it using PDFs, but I have used other tools to produce a digital plan.

Within the latest version of Acrobat Reader, there are facilities to comment on a document. Open the document, and open the commenting toolbar. You may have to go to 'More tools' (on my setup this is on the right hand side, same place as I go to use the certificates section I use to sign my minor works certs to prevent them from being changed).

The comments tool bar looks like this:-

View attachment 42173

There are options for inserting notes, text, freehand drawing and stamps. From what I can see you can import an image to be used as a stamp. Maybe you import some images, stamp the locations of items and then use free-hand drawing to link them up.
only problem there is with all us what are >15 years old. i only a couple of years ago learnt how to cut and paste without getting glue all over the keyboard, and excell is a magical mystery known only to a few. and cansomeone tell me what is a spreadsheet that ain't a covering for the marital bed when it's cold.

I have to chime in sadly. As far as I would be concerned liability for design should rest solely on the architect. I would demur from contributing to the design personally so that if anything goes wrong I can point at the architect so long as my bit was ok. Which it would be.

Is this the first time that you have dealt with this architect? Are you also pricing it up as you want to be careful if you design it and they use your design for others to price against and you lose out? what type of new build is by the impression that I get that it is a one-off house is there a spec?

You can import a PDF plan in to autocad, and then add to it from there. But that has quite a steep price tag and learning curve if you arent alrready a user. Draftsight is a free alternative to autocad, and it looks like you can get a plugin to allow importing of PDFs but I have never used it.

When my architect did the plans for my flat build he did the electrical layout as well I don't think you should be doing this as that is what the client is paying him for.

Something like this,

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 21.24.14.jpg

Firstly the architect is not asking you to design. He is asking you to mark up where the points will go. Completely different.

In business you can either be a difficult person to do business or a good person to do business with.

Personally I would look at the time this would take me to do this (prob 15 mins max) and then look at the potential benifit v potential nuisance to me.

Potential benifit:
Client happy
Potential architect recommendation to future clients
Build a good relationship

Potential nuisance:
15 mins of time gone

It really is a no brainer and anyone telling you to tell the architect to stick it is telling you to run your business badly.

The architect is likely to Autocad your recommendations anyway so I would happily just mark up the PDF with pen and send back.

maybe a bit off topic, but looking at that plan, what is the current trend to hang bedroom doors the wrong way round these days. it's always been the norm to hang doors so that when partially open, you can't see what's in the bed.

Reply to PDF plans from Architect in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock