periodic can i sign | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss periodic can i sign in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sahelectrical

i have a friend whos landlord needing a periodic test done

i am confident in testing but hav never sat the course the bak of my sjib card says recognised 17th edition testing

can i sign

its a report not a test.

I cant see any reason if you feel competent for you to carry out inspect/test and record youre findings but depends what the landlords insurance is.

meaning it might need to be through the regulatory body
sorry about the poor phrasing

Last edited by a moderator:
as the landlord will require the test cert for insurance purposes the testing/cert needs to be carried out by a competent person, and usually needs to be issued by "nic eic" etc.

Hi Mate, new on here so hope my post is useful, heavily involved with the test and inspection industry so feel qualified to comment.

as the landlord will require the test cert for insurance purposes the testing/cert needs to be carried out by a competent person, and usually needs to be issued by "nic eic" etc.

It's not a test certificate, its a periodic inspection 'report' I dont mean to be an txxt quoting you act1988 but to complete a certificate the operative should be assesed and qualified to do so as you say however, there is generally no requirement for the engineer to be affiliated to a regulatory body when completing a 'report' that said it is certainly the industry concensus that being affiliated to one of these companies gives the customer confidence that the contractor is of at least a minimum standard (not always the case in reality) & the landlords insurance company/policy may require the work be completed by a regulatory body registered operative/company.

A competent person in regard to inspection and test work is defined as 'an electrician of superior knowledge and experience' the 2391 course is not a pre requsit but is normally required to attain the position of qualifying supervisor for a company/trader affiliated to one of the electrical industries regulatory bodies.

Hope this helps

Regards

My understanding, is the 2391 exam was designed by the C&G at the request of the NICEIC, for their QSs to show their competence.
The requirement for QSs to have the 2391 was then dropped by the NICEIC, as very few passed.

Last edited by a moderator:
a 2391 cert can be used in addition to proven experience to demonstrate competency if someone was ever pulled into the docks but 2391 is not a mandatory requirement in order to conduct and issue a periodic report. From my point of view if someone for example is doing domestic CU changes, rewires, fault finding etc within domestic premises and have suffiecient qualifications and experience then I would say they should be competent to do domestic periodic reports. I can appreciate the need for high standards and I support high standards but we need to be careful of beating down good honest people with skill and suitable qualifications until it becomes staturay law and a criminal offence to engage in electrical work without being registered/certified.

I passed my 2391 and id say iv done all of 4 days testing, I'm just 1 of those annoying *insert abuse" that can read a book and quote it back to you word for word.
The 2391 test rig isn't rocket science to work out so i passed.
I'm sure there are alot of people on here with far less qualifications then me and that are much more capable of giving a PIR then me.
I could do a PIR properly and probably take me about a week. Iv caned the paper side and have won.Having 2391 isnt a ticket to being a testing god
Basically if you know your S**T and your confident you can do 1 :)
Hope this helps and flame away :)

Hi Mate, new on here so hope my post is useful, heavily involved with the test and inspection industry so feel qualified to comment.

It's not a test certificate, its a periodic inspection 'report' I dont mean to be an txxt quoting you act1988 but to complete a certificate the operative should be assesed and qualified to do so as you say however, there is generally no requirement for the engineer to be affiliated to a regulatory body when completing a 'report' that said it is certainly the industry concensus that being affiliated to one of these companies gives the customer confidence that the contractor is of at least a minimum standard (not always the case in reality) & the landlords insurance company/policy may require the work be completed by a regulatory body registered operative/company.

A competent person in regard to inspection and test work is defined as 'an electrician of superior knowledge and experience' the 2391 course is not a pre requsit but is normally required to attain the position of qualifying supervisor for a company/trader affiliated to one of the electrical industries regulatory bodies.

Hope this helps

Regards

Nice post mate, and spot on!

Heard a rumour that insurance companies are going to hit landlords hard in the very near future. The new condition report which is takeing over from the periodics will be needed once a year as opposed to 5. I hope its true!

I passed my 2391 and id say iv done all of 4 days testing, I'm just 1 of those annoying *insert abuse" that can read a book and quote it back to you word for word.
The 2391 test rig isn't rocket science to work out so i passed.
I'm sure there are alot of people on here with far less qualifications then me and that are much more capable of giving a PIR then me.
I could do a PIR properly and probably take me about a week. Iv caned the paper side and have won.Having 2391 isnt a ticket to being a testing god
Basically if you know your S**T and your confident you can do 1 :)
Hope this helps and flame away :)

2391-10 proves competence in testing single phase and 3 phase. Some people take to it like a duck to water others really struggle. To be honest mate if you've got the 2391 you should be able to **** a periodic.

a 2391 cert can be used in addition to proven experience to demonstrate competency if someone was ever pulled into the docks but 2391 is not a mandatory requirement in order to conduct and issue a periodic report. From my point of view if someone for example is doing domestic CU changes, rewires, fault finding etc within domestic premises and have suffiecient qualifications and experience then I would say they should be competent to do domestic periodic reports. I can appreciate the need for high standards and I support high standards but we need to be careful of beating down good honest people with skill and suitable qualifications until it becomes staturay law and a criminal offence to engage in electrical work without being registered/certified.

Whats the isssue with gaining the 2391 qual....It proves testing competence. And any spark worth his salt would want to get as many quals as possible.

2391-10 proves competence in testing single phase and 3 phase. Some people take to it like a duck to water others really struggle. To be honest mate if you've got the 2391 you should be able to **** a periodic.
Duck to water,still dont really no what im doing tho :)
Its a paper exercise if you ask me to make money.
Iv passed the paper part, does nt make me a good tester is all im saying.
i passed the practical part as well. But your not going to put 500v up a LCD in college and have to pay for it :D

I am also a landlord and very keen to know more about this. I would suspect that this once a year "new condition report" would be less comprehensive than a PIR, given that a proper PIR for a domestic dwelling that has no prior paper work takes about a day to complete propertly if you want to do full testing on all circuits. Any more info?

The info I have is at present only rumour from a Napit officer. Insurance companies are going to insist on a yearly electrical installation condition report or they will not insure.

Reply to periodic can i sign in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net