Please can you advise me. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Please can you advise me. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all.
As mentioned I am not an electrician myself but need some advice ..if you would.
I am installing some led lights on the stairs that just plug in to a socket.
I was advised by an Electrician that did some work for us a while ago on how to wire them in as there was no socket in that area. He suggested to spur from the closest socket (it is not a spur itself) through the wall and then to run to a 3 amp fused switch ...then onto a socket just under the stairs that the lights can be permenently plugged in to...and use the fused switch to control the led lights.
I understand that this will be fine....he reassured me atleast ?
My question is this....how to wire the fused switch?
I have attached a picture to show how I have it wired at the moment (it is not yet connected though)
[ElectriciansForums.net] Please can you advise me.
Could you please tell me If I have done it the right way ?
I understand Im sure that you may not wish to advise me as I am not a qualified electrician...but I would very much appreciate it if you could.
Thank you very much
Daniel

No, no it isnt. It makes testing, which you probably wont do, more difficult.

Ok...I will seperate them tomorrow. But they do both go to the same earth point ...is this ok then ? sorry Just a little confused. There is one earth point on the metal socket...and one on the switch itself....should I connect them individually to both points ?
Thank you

Last edited:
Sleeved separately but going to the same terminal on the switch and then a short flying lead to the terminal on the back box.

I’m not always grumpy :wink_smile:

Thank you very much...and I appreciate the reply. Can you please explain to me what a short flying lead is ? Is it a wire (sleeved) from the earth terminal on the socket to the earth terminal on the metal box ? and is this a 'must do' as there is very little room for adding another wire...my fault obviously.
Thank you

Thank you very much...and I appreciate the reply. Can you please explain to me what a short flying lead is ? Is it a wire (sleeved) from the earth terminal on the socket to the earth terminal on the metal box ? and is this a 'must do' as there is very little room for adding another wire...my fault obviously.
Thank you
correct, it's to earth the back box, but not absolutely necessary ,as the screws do that anyway.

Not trying to sound harsh here, but the bottom line is that you shouldn't really have done it in the first place. Some form of extension lead plugged into the socket in question would have been preferable for someone not classed as competent to carry out the work. Once you start tapping into the ring final circuit and extending it, you are getting into qualified electrician territory. :)

Hey,

At least you took the time to drawer a picture and post to make sure he has done it correctly.

All looks good to me, obviously testing is a issue but you were going to do it anyway, so tbf good on the man for asking for advise.

Cheers
Ash

What you've done is fine pal. Don't worry about the flying lead its not needed. Ignore all the (sometimes) grumpy old gits on here, you dont have to be an electrician to do this type of work and its your house at the end of the day.

What you've done is fine pal. Don't worry about the flying lead its not needed. Ignore all the (sometimes) grumpy old gits on here, you dont have to be an electrician to do this type of work and its your house at the end of the day.

You having a laugh mate? Have you seen his other thread about crimping out a cooker circuit with blue crimps that are used in a car?

You having a laugh mate? Have you seen his other thread about crimping out a cooker circuit with blue crimps that are used in a car?

I have not crimped out ANY circuit with ANYTHING. I WAS going to yes...but didnt. I came on here to ask your advice on the procedure...what I should do and how. I ASKED IF the crimps were of the same sort used for car electrics. And I asked this because I DIDNT KNOW !! Thats the point you should discuss it with me and offer me advice... rather than take the p..s !!
Isnt that the point of a forum.
Thanks for your help though

I believe the point of the forum is for electricians to discuss various topics (ie the name of the forum) and help the odd DIY'er with simple problems which don't involve having to put themselves or others at risk through lack of knowledge, training and experience.

you have to strike a balance between giving advice for a DIY'er or novice to do a simple job and advising to do something beyond their skill level. sometimes from OP's , it's difficult to judge. advice, whilst freely given in good faith, should not be made to the extent of encouraging anyone to attempt a task beyond their capability. this is why so many replies advise getting a qualified spark in.

Reply to Please can you advise me. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net