Please can you advise me. | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Please can you advise me. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all.
As mentioned I am not an electrician myself but need some advice ..if you would.
I am installing some led lights on the stairs that just plug in to a socket.
I was advised by an Electrician that did some work for us a while ago on how to wire them in as there was no socket in that area. He suggested to spur from the closest socket (it is not a spur itself) through the wall and then to run to a 3 amp fused switch ...then onto a socket just under the stairs that the lights can be permenently plugged in to...and use the fused switch to control the led lights.
I understand that this will be fine....he reassured me atleast ?
My question is this....how to wire the fused switch?
I have attached a picture to show how I have it wired at the moment (it is not yet connected though)
[ElectriciansForums.net] Please can you advise me.
Could you please tell me If I have done it the right way ?
I understand Im sure that you may not wish to advise me as I am not a qualified electrician...but I would very much appreciate it if you could.
Thank you very much
Daniel

Listen Im sorry If I have offended anybody. I came on here for help and advice and I would not have attempted any job that I thought I could not do without that advice.
I thank you all for your help

Listen Im sorry If I have offended anybody. I came on here for help and advice and I would not have attempted any job that I thought I could not do without that advice.
I thank you all for your help

Not offended at all, more than happy to help but sometimes we can get spooked by what can come over as an accident waiting to happen. Lots of horror stories on here so you can appreciate if the comments can be a bit acidic. I think you are asking the right questions but those questions indicate you are very in-experienced at electrical stuff and that can frighten away genuine advice. For example, you received good advice on how to crimp the cooker cct but if you are rubbish at crimping even if you follow the advice it will either fail elegantly or overheat and make a mess of the kitchen.
What i would say is check you have an RCD covering the property before you undertake anything of the nature you are discussing and beware of the law on doing stuff in a kitchen or bathroom or shower area.
regards
P&S

Everyone is just mad that your doing a Job that they could be paid to do for you .... It's a fused spur people! Would you pay a plumber to tighten up a compression fitting just because he's qualified too. Noo you would do it because you are competent enough. However I suppose the question is are you competent enough.

Everyone is just mad that your doing a Job that they could be paid to do for you .... It's a fused spur people! Would you pay a plumber to tighten up a compression fitting just because he's qualified too. Noo you would do it because you are competent enough. However I suppose the question is are you competent enough.
Youre not far wrong mate I think.... Im done with this forum. I am almost tempted to go to college and train to become a qualified electrician...Just so I can find out at what stage you turn into a complete -----. To those that helped I thank you very much....for those that were to ---- to even try....**** OFF !!

Youre not far wrong mate I think.... Im done with this forum. I am almost tempted to go to college and train to become a qualified electrician...Just so I can find out at what stage you turn into a complete -----. To those that helped I thank you very much....for those that were to ---- to even try....**** OFF !!

I wouldnt bother with college, you can do a 5 week course! Haha

Look at it this way you would'nt go on the gas forum and expect them to talk you through fixing a condensing boiler would you, well same difference. Being a spark is a trade that takes years to master, you've come on expecting tradesmen to hold your hand while you bodge it together... If I were you I'd nip to b&q and have a word with that little guy who serves the electrical isle's he's well versed in giving bad advise, got to be better than having a hissy fit on here.

Regards Alex

A leaking compression fitting is less likely to kill you. You do not need test equuipment to tell you the leak has stopped.

lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol at 'pricks'...

The professional electricians on here do this for a living, you asked for advise they gave it, if you don't like the advise don't ask.

Pretty simple really, these electricians have families, houses, beer etc to pay for so for you to have a --- fit about the advise of 'get a spark in' is a little disrespectful really.

Like 'Alex Powers' says, (and all those notices!!) 'Electricity is dangerous', 'Electricity can kill'.

Thats why there is a trade for domestic electricians other wise the instructions in the fuse spur packet would tell you exactly how to do it and not say if in doubt get a professional.

Errrmm think thats it.

Cheers v much
Ash

Reply to Please can you advise me. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net