Please help = correct method of bonding system | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Please help = correct method of bonding system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi guys,

just need a quick bit of advice.

when implemtenting a bonding system for the likes of bathroom piping, ect. should we be linking from the main earth terminal even though it is no were near it or is it okay to go just of the ring main earth cable?

same goes with for example if using it on shower piping can we use earthing from the shower cable?

thanks

You need to look up, read & understand the use of 'supplementary equipotential bonding'

This diagram shows it quite clearly. You may also want to look up 'extraneous conductive part' too.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Please help = correct method of bonding system

Unless a RFC enters the special location, you would not need to include it in the supplementary bonding of that location.

How do the college expect you to do an assignment on a given topic if they havn't expained it to you first????

Where are you training???

its a real pain were im getting taught! i dont want to say on here, just a local college.
A little advice Paul, as a first year apprentice I, like you appear to be, struggled with the first few months when everything was brand new, bewildering and nothing made sense.
I too felt like quitting but luckily I had older brother's who had been through apprenticeships and had had the same experiences. So I'll tell you what they told me, stick with it and work hard. It will start to fall into place and make sense and when you're finished you'll be glad you did. The only stupid question is the one you're too scared to ask for fear of looking stupid. Bug the life out of your tutors, it's their job to get you through your exams successfully. When you get out on site you'll have another source of info you can tap into ie the qualified guy you're working with hopefully he will be able to explain things by demonstrating how and why things are done the way they are.
Keep your chin up mate:)

A little advice Paul, as a first year apprentice I, like you appear to be, struggled with the first few months when everything was brand new, bewildering and nothing made sense.
I too felt like quitting but luckily I had older brother's who had been through apprenticeships and had had the same experiences. So I'll tell you what they told me, stick with it and work hard. It will start to fall into place and make sense and when you're finished you'll be glad you did. The only stupid question is the one you're too scared to ask for fear of looking stupid. Bug the life out of your tutors, it's their job to get you through your exams successfully. When you get out on site you'll have another source of info you can tap into ie the qualified guy you're working with hopefully he will be able to explain things by demonstrating how and why things are done the way they are.
Keep your chin up mate:)
and what an excellent advertisement this is as well for choosing the college route.....rather than the 5 week quick fix option.......

its a real pain were im getting taught! i dont want to say on here, just a local college.

Come on, do tell.

It worries me, this business of colleges setting assignments on stuf they haven't actuallly taught! My apprentices college have done this to him.
Now, forgive me, but I thought the purpose of the college was to teach the subject, not just set an assignment and let the student sink or swim?

Look in your OSG for a diagram of supplementary bonding. Or use the one reroduced above.

Seems to me you should ask your tutor to go over the subject again.

Reply to Please help = correct method of bonding system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net