Pme installations in 18th edition with additional rod. | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pme installations in 18th edition with additional rod. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
It's proposed in the 18th edition that any new pme installation is to have a rod added by the electrician that has has a resistance of 30ohms or less. What are people's thoughts on this? My main concern is the amount of services that are going to get hit with everyone driving rods in.....also my lowest reading on a rod ever was 40 ohms which I thought was good.

If it ends up that a new PME must have a 30 Ohm or better rod, I'm guessing many places won't be able to achieve it and would have to refuse DNO earth and fall back to TT ? (where your average 100 Ohm rod is perfectly ok) Doesn't really seem like a forward step to me ... Or have I misunderstood?

As the draft has been closed, I can't verify, but I do recall the proposal of adding earth rod to supplement any earthing supplied by a DNO (542.1.201). And I think it related only to PME supplies, but I might be wrong there. There is also a proposal for foundation earthing in new builds (542.2.2).

Or did I just wake up in a cold sweat from a nightmare :eek:

Edit; those reg numbers are from some notes I made when reading the draft, so don't quote me on them!

Last edited:
As the draft has been closed, I can't verify, but I do recall the proposal of adding earth rod to supplement any earthing supplied by a DNO (542.1.201). And I think it related only to PME supplies, but I might be wrong there. There is also a proposal for foundation earthing in new builds (542.2.2).

Or did I just wake up in a cold sweat from a nightmare :eek:

Edit; those reg numbers are from some notes I made when reading the draft, so don't quote me on them!
No it’s applicable or maybe in this case , to any TN system were the supplier has provided an earth.

Is this not just where PME conditions apply?
Can't actually see why a rod would now be necessary for TN-S.
That would make more sense wouldn’t it?
But the proposed regulation was to supplement the suppliers earthing arrangement in a TN system.
No point in arguing I guess as it’s not definitely confirmed.

What everyone needs to remember is that the rest of the world already requires an Earth electrode on a TN-C-S system and always has.

We've always been proud to be well ahead of the rest of the world regarding electrical safety.....maybe we're falling badly back into line. I wonder why? Could it be due to cutting back on the expense of installation by supply authorities...or coming in to line with the crap standard of work and materials used overall in the present electrical installation industry.
A whole lot of both, perhaps?

542.1.201 The main earthing terminal shall be connected with Earth by one of the methods described in Regulations 542.1.2.1 to 3, as appropriate to the type of system of which the installation is to form a part and in compliance with Regulations 542.1.3.1 and 542.1.3.2. Additionally, there shall be an earth electrode, supplementing any earthing facility provided by the distributor, in accordance with one of the requirements of Regulation 542.2.3, to prevent the appearance of a dangerous touch voltage in the event of the loss of the main connection to Earth.

542.2.3 Where foundation earth electrodes are installed the materials and dimensions of the earth electrodes shall be selected to withstand corrosion and to have adequate mechanical strength.

Biggest problem I found with the draft, was that instead of just printing the changes, they printed the whole damn thing.
So you have to wade through it looking for things you think have changed.

It's almost as if they didn't want you to find the changes

Reply to Pme installations in 18th edition with additional rod. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net