PME supply query (and bulk out the title) | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss PME supply query (and bulk out the title) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been surveying 12 blocks of flats today with a view to doing full eicr's on the lateral mains and landlord lighting supplies. All the main services terminate at a Henly distribution board with no cut-out or main fuses. See pic, I've done very little on pme supplies and wonder if this is the norm? Appreciate your input. Bill
[ElectriciansForums.net] PME supply query (and bulk out the title)

That isn't an uncommon set up there maybe a combined neutral/earth bar within to facilitate the TN-C-S.

It's definitely a PME supply,
This cluster**** is the combined N&E connections and the line connections for the lower two banks of fuses.
[ElectriciansForums.net] PME supply query (and bulk out the title)
but it was the lack of single point of isolation/main fuses that struck me as odd.

It's definitely a PME supply,
This cluster**** is the combined N&E connections and the line connections for the lower two banks of fuses.

but it was the lack of single point of isolation/main fuses that struck me as odd.
Nice mess there! does not look like the work of the distribution network operator.

Each flat has a single point of isolation before the meter by virtue of those fuses in the same way as any house would have.
I would expect the BNO would be the property freeholder or their appointed agent
This would seem to be very likely.

Hi all, I've been surveying 12 blocks of flats today with a view to doing full eicr's on the lateral mains and landlord lighting supplies. All the main services terminate at a Henly distribution board with no cut-out or main fuses. See pic, I've done very little on pme supplies and wonder if this is the norm? Appreciate your input. Bill
View attachment 37729
dno supply cable normally connects inside the BEMCO unit and the fuses protect each supply cable to each flat split across 3 phases.
The neutral when pme connects to a bar inside which is linked to the BEMCO casing effectively making the neutral/earth link.
When we have done them before we normally take tails out of the DNO fuses to a switch fused Isolator via the metering equipment no more than 3 meters length.
Each phase of The DNO supply cable is supplied through a 100-200amp bs 88 fuse (size depending on the agreed demand for the whole property per phase)

dno supply cable normally connects inside the BEMCO unit and the fuses protect each supply cable to each flat split across 3 phases.
The neutral when pme connects to a bar inside which is linked to the BEMCO casing effectively making the neutral/earth link.
When we have done them before we normally take tails out of the DNO fuses to a switch fused Isolator via the metering equipment no more than 3 meters length.
Each phase of The DNO supply cable is supplied through a 100-200amp bs 88 fuse (size depending on the agreed demand for the whole property per phase)

That's how I have done loads of blocks, but they was TNS and had a service head with 100/200A fuses. It's the lack of a service head that is confusing me.

The Henley unit is the service head, it just has more than one set of fuses. In this area it would be sealed. The cutout in each flat is often red with a solid link in that is provided so meter fitters have a convenient point of isolation.

Different areas have different ideas on where the customer wiring starts and the DNO wiring ends. The last 2 blocks of flats we did the customers wiring started at the meter that was in each flat. The wiring to each flats cutout (beside the meter) was property of the DNO. The flats were also fed from a multifuse service head and had a cutout in each flat, similar to what is shown in your photos. Both the service fuse and the flats cutout fuses were 80A.

Here, any testing would be limited to the flats consumer unit and final circuits. If there was a fault with any of the wiring feeding any of the flats, or if one of the 80A fuses needed replacing, we would not be allowed to carry out any repairs and would have to call the DNO. Well that's what the Western Power bloke said anyway.

The Henley unit is the service head, it just has more than one set of fuses. In this area it would be sealed. The cutout in each flat is often red with a solid link in that is provided so meter fitters have a convenient point of isolation.

Different areas have different ideas on where the customer wiring starts and the DNO wiring ends. The last 2 blocks of flats we did the customers wiring started at the meter that was in each flat. The wiring to each flats cutout (beside the meter) was property of the DNO. The flats were also fed from a multifuse service head and had a cutout in each flat, similar to what is shown in your photos. Both the service fuse and the flats cutout fuses were 80A.

Here, any testing would be limited to the flats consumer unit and final circuits. If there was a fault with any of the wiring feeding any of the flats, or if one of the 80A fuses needed replacing, we would not be allowed to carry out any repairs and would have to call the DNO. Well that's what the Western Power bloke said anyway.

Thanks Freddo, now I've googled multifuse service heads I'm getting a lot of info. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reply to PME supply query (and bulk out the title) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net