Currently reading:
Possible faults with old charge master/ no pulse

Discuss Possible faults with old charge master/ no pulse in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Customer asked me to look at their ev charger, I’ve turned up, but they’re not in. Typical.
I’ll come back on my way home later, but wondered if anyone knew how these things work.

Customer just said it wasn’t charging the car. No other details.

From google, it’s an old original bp pulse aka charge master. You can see the orange light, so there is power to the unit, but obviously I don’t have the key (or car) to try it.

It’s tethered, and the plug is in good condition. No corrosion.

I can’t seem to find a user guide online.

IMG_5696.jpeg

Only one time I have ever seen one of these installed. Also had a not charging fault, turned out to be a broken wire on the PP side of the tether!

Edit
Might be wrong actually not sure it was that one thinking about it!

I went back this afternoon, as it was on my way home... but the rain stopped me from doing any internal investigations.

I think these were popular with "free" installsof charge point when you bought an EV, and so far, all the ones ive been asked to repair have been these types. Once was a loose connection in the supply box below, and second one was the user leaving the plug lying on the damp ground.

What i can tell is the key is the simple on/off switch... and this one is on all the time... so it should be plug in and charge.
The amber light is simply a power on, standby indicator. When charging, a green light should illuminate below this.
(when first powered on, the amber and green lights flash on and off during a self text procedutre)

The customer has a full EV, and a hybrid, and neither charge... When i go back, ill open it up and check the connections... maybe continuity test between the connections and the plug end.

Did they actually come with that blue flex?
yes... certainly looks like it.

The flex and Mennekes type plug are both blue, but the plug is off the photo

I had to search for it, and im only assuming its Chargemaster/ BP pulse, simply because of the shape. They are usually white, not black... with a badge on the front.

I contacted bp pulse and they needed the serial number before even discussing what might be at fault...

When im out at it next, ill take cover off and check the PP as suggested on #2

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Possible faults with old charge master/ no pulse in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock