Power to a shed FCUs, RCDs ETC?? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Power to a shed FCUs, RCDs ETC?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kona

Afternoon all,

I wonder if someone can help me out here. I need to run an electrical supply to my wooden shed - approx 10 metres from my house. I plan to continue the radial circuit from a socket in our dining room. The circuit currently has only 2x double sockets (which don't really get used) and has a 16amp MCB, and 30 milliamp RCD at the fuse board.

The plan is to start from the last socket on the circuit, then convert to SWA go through the wall, across the garden to a double socket in the shed - to power 1x strip light and a small freezer.

I understand I'll need to stick a fused spur in somewhere, maybe an RCD aswell. Could someone advice what should go where?

And do I need to consider earth bonding - the shed is wooden and there is nothing metal connected to it.

Thanks for your help

K

should be ok. keep it simple. you don't want to be putting a RCD in the shed if there is one at source. however, a fAULT IN THE SHED WILL CAUSE YOUR HOUSE RCD TO TRIP. having said that, the job iks notifiable so that will cost you around £200, so you might be better off getting a part p registerd spark in.

Last edited:
The plan is to start from the last socket on the circuit, then convert to SWA go through the wall, across the garden to a double socket in the shed - to power 1x strip light and a small freezer.

I understand I'll need to stick a fused spur in somewhere, maybe an RCD aswell. Could someone advice what should go where?

run your cable to the shed as you stipulate, terminate the SWA and connect your sockets up as required for freezer then continue the radial into a FCU (3a) and wire the strip light from that.

no RCD or other stuff needed!

May I suggest that you fit a 20A double pole switch before the SWA (in the house). You can then isolate the shed from the house and re-set your RCD should a fault develop in any part of the external wiring.
Don't forget to notify you LBC!

I have one more question about this project. Upon existing the house wall I'd like to install a 13amp weather proof socket. I'm hoping this will act as a junction box too, to help facilitate the 90 deg turn in the SWA.

This shouldn't pose a problem - should it? I'm assuming 2.5mm SWA can go straight into your average weather proof 13amp socket....

if yo are coming through the house wall into the back of your outside socket, silicon around the top and sides stop any water going down the back of the socket.

and shove some 20mm pvc tube through the wall, protect the cable.

Last edited:

Reply to Power to a shed FCUs, RCDs ETC?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net