Power to a shed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Power to a shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

matt_b

We have recently moved into a new house that was previously owned by a qualified electrician. As a result, I am happy to assume all existing electrics have been fitted correctly. At the top of the garden is a shed that I would like to wire a double socked in to. I'd also like to add a simple light.

Currently, there is a separate consumer unit in the garage. From this, there is a run of two outside socket points that run up the side of the garden, with one of them being 5 feet from the shed. These are wired in to their own fuse on the consumer unit, I assume this means they are on their own "ring"...

So far, I have spurred off from the uppermost socket and ran the cable out through some 25mm pvc pipe that is clipped to the fence panels, visible above the ground. This then goes in to the shed. Before I do any more work, am I running any obvious risks here, does it need to be checked off by a qualified electrician for regs, or is it fine until we sell the house? Could I run a simple light and socket from this? If I got a qualified electrician do the work, how much should I be expecting to pay? As the existing sockets feed directly into a consumer unit, I assume I don't need another RCD, especially as the cable is above ground?

It's not an essential item as it won't be used much, so if it turns out to be inadvisable to do it myself, or too expensive to get an electrician to do, I will just run an extension cable to the existing socket.

There are a few members from your area that would be happy to quote for any work you require, I think uksparks is one off the top of my head.

There are a few members from your area that would be happy to quote for any work you require, I think uksparks is one off the top of my head.

Thanks. I assume it's something I need to get an electrician to do then? It seems so simple as well, oh well!

Just to add to that, I'll come and look for free and do you a quote that's sensible.

There you go Matt it's a no brainer/ costs you nothing to get the quote except maybe a cup of tea and an hobnob

Reply to Power to a shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net