Power to garden shed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Power to garden shed in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Slowhand

Talking to a bloke the other night in the pub who's been quoted £800 to run power to his garden shed 4m away from his house.
All the usual stuff, swa supply, new CU in the shed, lights and sockets everwhere etc etc .
He asked if there was a way he might be able to get it done cheaper without having certifiates and informing the authorities nudge nudge wink wink.
Yes l said, run an extension lead out to it.
Cheers Mate he said, l can do that myself.
You can indeed l replied but as it plugs in you'll have to get it PAT tested........
Can you do that for me he said....
FFS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking to a bloke the other night in the pub who's been quoted £800 to run power to his garden shed 4m away from his house.
All the usual stuff, swa supply, new CU in the shed, lights and sockets everwhere etc etc .
He asked if there was a way he might be able to get it done cheaper without having certifiates and informing the authorities nudge nudge wink wink.
You can indeed l replied but as it plugs in you'll have to get it PAT tested........

FFS!
Yes I can is the answer, That will be £ 795.00 Sir.

FFS!
I've no idea but was £800 a fair price for what was required? It seems very costly.

I've no idea but was £800 a fair price for what was required? It seems very costly.

To be fair I just hope it was a reputable Proper electrical contractor that was Charging a realistic price for a professional job, instead of Gary from down the local pub earning beer tokens

FBH, £800 does seem a bit steep. slowhand, why don't you quote him? proper job, notified, of course.

Here's a mad thought since it's past beer o'clock lol.If a shed had a small loading and was wired in a similar way to a caravan,ie small RCD mains unit and a commando plug on the outside which was plugged into an existing outdoor socket via a trailing lead,would it still be notifiable?
Just something I thought up,not that I can ever see anyone doing it.

Here's a mad thought since it's past beer o'clock lol.If a shed had a small loading and was wired in a similar way to a caravan,ie small RCD mains unit and a commando plug on the outside which was plugged into an existing outdoor socket via a trailing lead,would it still be notifiable?
Just something I thought up,not that I can ever see anyone doing it.
IMO a plug and socket means nothing - a (touring) caravan is clearly a temporary installation whereas a shed is a permanent installation.

IMO a plug and socket means nothing - a (touring) caravan is clearly a temporary installation whereas a shed is a permanent installation.

Is it permanent though? could be it would come under ISITEE (PAT) lol

FBH, £800 does seem a bit steep. slowhand, why don't you quote him? proper job, notified, of course.

He doesn't need permanent power in his shed yet, no freezer or anything and TBH he's short of cash.
He was amazed when l suggested an extension lead instead of coming up with a lower price.
When his missus decides she needs a chest freezer we'll talk again.
And..
Yes £800 is more than double than what the job is worth, there are some unscrupulous people out there.

Under planning regs a shed is not classed as a permenant structure,as it isn't fastened to the floor,so thereby one could argue that it could be classed as a temporary install.

Reply to Power to garden shed in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net