Power to Shed (Again Sorry) | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Power to Shed (Again Sorry) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shock Doctor

Hi all,

Ive just been to look at a job, customer requires power in his shed. CU is old has no rcd protection and no spare ways. My initial plan was to advise a board change or a rcd cu to be added via henly block. Problem is customer doesnt want upheaval in the house as no easy run to back garden through house and mid terrace. Is there a way I can come off of the socket on back wall of the downstairs ring into an external 13a rcd fsu and down to shed? And if so am I testing the whole ring circuit or just the new bit?

I know he has someone else coming to look at the job and want to know that my way is the correct/safe way to do it.

I have just passed my elecsa assesment and this is the first job of this nature I have come up against so I apologise if this is something I should probably know.

Thanks

Thank you for your answer I appreciate all the help on this forum, being a newbie I keep questioning my self and worrying its not up to the regs. I will go for the rcd fused spur as I can see it being the cheapest option.

Again sorry for all the questions and thank you for your help, i just want to get it right first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
As above you should ensure main bonding is present....you should also establish that the ring is a ring before deciding to feed from the socket....Often on older installations the socket you plan to come from turns out to be a spur from a spur from a spur.......

if you wanted , you could split the tails via a henley block then supply a 1 way CU then from there supply the shed via an RCBO of the correct size

prob many ways of doing it, another would be to double a cct up and create a spare way, this is if you could get an mcb or rcbo to fit the exsisting board, or even if you are able to double anything up

the world is your oyster my friend - have fun !

give him the two options,
ensure main bonding is adequate,
new board or rcbo the current circuit,
fit rcd fused spur to feed shed supply (obviously limited to 13a but fine for general low use)

Hi all me again,

Wirepuller you must be pshycic! Checked the socket I was planning to come off of and its a spur. If i can trace it back to the ring its connected up to can I a) install the rcd socket onto the ring so as protecting the spur and the addition to the shed? or b) as 2.5 leaves old board run into stand alone rcd then onward so protecting the whole ring circuit or C) is it back to the drawing board?

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot spur from a socket that is already on a spur.....unless.... you find where the socket is spured from, if that is on a ring you could install an FCU to fuse down the spur to the socket and shed, then you can take as many points as you like from the spur. But you are limited to a maximum load of 13a in total on all points on the load side of the FCU.......Far from ideal ,but it may be adequate for your purposes. In the back of the BRB there is a useful diagram explaining exactly what can be wired from a ring circuit.

Thanks wirepuller, I spoke to elecsa earlier and came to the same conclusion. Not ideal but customer doesnt want a new board or any cabling through house to rear of property. So it looks like its a case of tracing back to the ring and put the rcd fcu there to protect the spur and the run down to the shed 13a max load and advise customer, issue minor works cert and call it a win ( of sorts ). I love the way the public think its just join this wire to that wire and be done with it! all well and good untill there house burns down.

Thanks for your help/advice always gratefully received.

Reply to Power to Shed (Again Sorry) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net