Power to shed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Power to shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MikeWindsor

hi all i am training to become an electrician and attending some courses at pass in watford. I would like to run power to my shed and use it in the future for my part p inspection. My CU in the house is about 10 metres from the shed and the outside and drive are solid so no digging available. I have never worked with SWA before and an older electrician who is helping me (but currently in hospital) advised me to use high impact 20mm plastic conduit. So I am planning to use this then install a new rcd cu in the shed and run a lighting circuit and a couple of sockets. I keep having this nagging doubt about using SWA instead of conduit ! Any advice, tips, things the inspector may look for would be most gratefully recieved !!! Many thanks Mike

Is the run to the shed all surface or are sections going to be buried? Personally I'd use SWA regardless but if you use conduit outside it needs to be UV stable.

Earthing arrangements would be a consideration.

Have alook at these links

Link 1

Link 2

thank you yes it is all surface, i bought the conduit from a reputable wholesaler so I hope it is uv but i will check with them, the house is on a tncs supply

The earthing depends on the construction of the shed as well as the house earthing arrangement. There's also lots of existing threads about this very subject. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you should see some links to other relevant threads.

thanks just had a quick look at your links, the shed is wood and has no taps or metal parts

Reply to Power to shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net