Currently reading:
UK Powered speaker tripped circuits four times over a couple weeks, insulation tester result seems ok, need advice.

Discuss Powered speaker tripped circuits four times over a couple weeks, insulation tester result seems ok, need advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

reprobate

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, stating I am not an electrician,

I have purchased a fairly expensive set of used powered studio monitors and I’m concerned about one of them. I was switching the power switch at the back and I’ve switched it off quite poorly where it went back on itself and as it was half way between on and off the whole house tripped, set off the alarms etc. I assumed maybe it was some kind of arc from poorly switching off the power switch.

I then remembered the upstairs tripped the day I received them, and I think I plugged them in around the same time.

Now the other socket in my office is for some reason wired to downstairs, a week after the other incidents I switched off everything at the wall, all on an extension including this speaker, and that seemed to trip the downstairs sockets.

Happened again when I switched the power on at the wall a couple days later.

The device works fine when on, seems to be in a state of powering on or powering off.

I got out the Megger BM80 I’ve got and tested the insulation and it’s at 370MegaOhms both poles to ground.

Can anyone explain what could be happening and what I should be doing. Are there any other tests I can do. Thank you for any advice.

When you say tripped what type of device was it,mcb,rcbo,Arc Fault Detection Device or (RCD) Residual Current Device a picture of your consumer unit indicating which device tripped would be handy

Hello, stating I am not an electrician,

I have purchased a fairly expensive set of used powered studio monitors and I’m concerned about one of them. I was switching the power switch at the back and I’ve switched it off quite poorly where it went back on itself and as it was half way between on and off the whole house tripped, set off the alarms etc. I assumed maybe it was some kind of arc from poorly switching off the power switch.

I then remembered the upstairs tripped the day I received them, and I think I plugged them in around the same time.

Now the other socket in my office is for some reason wired to downstairs, a week after the other incidents I switched off everything at the wall, all on an extension including this speaker, and that seemed to trip the downstairs sockets.

Happened again when I switched the power on at the wall a couple days later.

The device works fine when on, seems to be in a state of powering on or powering off.

I got out the Megger BM80 I’ve got and tested the insulation and it’s at 370MegaOhms both poles to ground.

Can anyone explain what could be happening and what I should be doing. Are there any other tests I can do. Thank you for any advice.
Is it just the one monitor that does it ?
What is the make model ?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out that there is nothing wrong with your monitor, other than the dodgy power switch, but you do turn out to have some poor neutral to earth resistance somewhere else on the circuit monitored by the RCD in question.

When you say tripped what type of device was it,mcb,rcbo,Arc Fault Detection Device or (RCD) Residual Current Device a picture of your consumer unit indicating which device tripped would be handy
It has tripped the sockets that are marked in red, hope this helps and thank you.

Attachments

• 3892546792354697386.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 20
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out that there is nothing wrong with your monitor, other than the dodgy power switch, but you do turn out to have some poor neutral to earth resistance somewhere else on the circuit monitored by the RCD in question.
Thank you, what would be the advice for me to do in this scenario? I've also seen circuits tripped in past from other things such as 1500VA step down converter has done it a couple times in the past also.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Powered speaker tripped circuits four times over a couple weeks, insulation tester result seems ok, need advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electricians on FB Group

Electricians Forums on FB

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back