Problem with split load CU | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Problem with split load CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I've had a strange and frustrating day today. Installed an MK split load Consumer unit to replace two rewireable fuse boards.
Earth system is TT 14.5 ohms PFC is 1.86 M ohms I've split the load over two 63A 30mA RCd's as follows (left to right from main switch):
  1. Oven, Downstairs sockets, Spur sockets, Lights (they are all on one circuit!)
  2. Shower, Kitchen sockets,Upstairs sockets, Spur sockets
Now here's the headache:banghead:...all circuits have been tested individually and, apart from a slightly low IR reading on the upstairs sockets (174M ohms), they all check out fine. But when everything is wired in and energised, using the microwave on the kitchen sockets or the upstairs sockets (all side'2') trips the RCD on the other side ('1') and sometimes side '2' !!
So I double checked that I had wired the board up correctly( no neutrals put to wrong neutral bar, RCD's wired as per manufactures instructions, no rings crossed...). Then tried just having the kitchen sockets on one side with the oven or the downstairs sockets or the spur sockets on their own. Still the wrong RCD trips!!
Ditto using upstairs sockets only.
Ditto using spur sockets on side 2
So then I took the lighting circuit out of the puzzle. Same result.

The only area I am uncertain of, is the cable from the main cut out. This runs as a single cable from the top of cut out to the meter. I presume this is in fact two-in-one which seperrate at the meter?

So can anybody shed some light please, before I spend another 3 hours scratching my head and cursing!!

Have checked polarity of all sockets. Microwave is brand new, unwrapped that morning. But if this was the problem why the other RCD tripping as well?
I know anythings possible in old houses.. will need to check the neutrals between circuits.
Thanks.

and check th manufacturers tails to the RCds as well. it's not unknown for these to be incorrectly wired at the factory in china.

胡说八道。我听错了,再次

Not sure if this is likely. Kitchen sockets have been put on there own circuit when kitchen refurbed. But its possible...

- - - Updated - - -

One of the first things I checked was the split load wiring - cant see anything wrong with it.

i bought a brand new electrical tester after my 5 day course and never knew how to use it...!! :( its still wrapped up but im Part P so i just hand certs out that look right/what the client wants to see..!

(not related to this post BTW, just having a laugh lol)

Titanic was defo brand new!! i can see the add in Ship trader now!

New ship careful owner,only made one journey so low miles, left in hands of trustworthy officer who left his binoculars down below. slight damage to Port side although should T-Cut out, will throw in Wet and Dry Vac to winning bidder!

collection only (located 79k miles from DH1)

Well, whenever I go to a customer who has been having problems with RCD's tripping on a consumer unit that their builder or plumber has fitted, it turns out to be a simple fix.... Take all the circuits off the RCD side and put them onto the main switch side.... See, you don't have to be an electrician to sort out a fault :)

Disclaimer : This is not actual advice

Please don't take any offence as I am sure you wouldn't be a stupid as me, but I've only once left the solid neutral bar in the CU joining all the neutral bars together, It took me ages to work out why the RCD's werent holding, its sometimes the blindingly obvious you overlook. I called myself a prat for about a week after that, funny enough I haven't done it since.

Reply to Problem with split load CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net