Protecting DNO equipment | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Protecting DNO equipment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) officer inspecting a HMO for temporary accommodation has advised tenants might be tempted to play with DNO equipment as it's not in a locked cupboard.

I'd be interested in your thoughts, my view is nothing to do with me, DNO install this and deem it to be safe, therefore I should not touch anything.
HMO officer suggesting locked cupboard, but surly you can't put a lock on DNO equipment, they need access?
[ElectriciansForums.net] Protecting DNO equipment

Depends on the nature of the tenants, the officer may be aware of this hence his recommendation. I have worked in plenty of these places and seen all walks of life in them. Most are happy to roll with life but a few just want to kick to pieces anything they have put in front of them.

As the meter has only been installed for 4 months someone should contact the energy supplier to put some clips on the cutout - meter tails.

If it's going to be boxed in it needs to have a triangle meter lock on it or the meter reader won't be able to get it (unless they've scrapped the compulsory 2 year reading/check as was being proposed recently).
If it's secured with a triange meter lock then any fool could buy one, open the box, by pass the meter and close the box and no-one would know.
If it's left uncovered everyone can see it.

Think I might have been a bit more concerned with the electrician playing with the DNO equipment using a BS951 for the home made earth. So should the HMO inspector if he wants to play at being an electrician. Yes I agree DNO not my problem. Would not get involved.
“Still seems a bit loose, give it another turn to make sure..........! TNB earthing,Terra Neutral Bang!

Reply to Protecting DNO equipment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net