Providing Lighting from Motor Supply | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Providing Lighting from Motor Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Solutions
Reaction score
Apologies for the vagueness in the title. You'll have to forgive my ignorance on the below too - I'm only just touching on 'industrial' as my work is generally more ' commercial'.

I'm faced with a small pump house - rainwater sumps which takes the site rainfall and pumps it out. As an aside - the pumps and their control gear are lovely - still sporting their paper manufacturer tags reading November 1963.

The pump equipment gets a 60a 3ph supply via PILC from the pull out ABB fuse carrier assembly in the intake room behind the substation a good distance away. The PILC terminates in a large isolator beneath an equally dated BILL 3ph fuse board...dated but in perfect condition and complete with Asbestos Clearance paperwork confirming the pads have been removed and replaced with alternative inserts.

6 fuses and carriers in here. There's 2 pumps so simply one fuse per phase per pump. No spare fuseways. I haven't checked the size of the fuse wire but until I decide how to proceed with this job, that's kind of by the by.

The job is to simply provide an internal LED strip light to allow maintenance - and provide an external PIR operated light. There was an internal light in here before, however, interestingly this was supplied completely separate to the 60a 3ph supply to this building and came in via a very long, buried 1" conduit in VIR singles fed from a small services board in the intake room. This circuit has long since failed. The conduit seems to have rotted as it's collapsed and I can't pull anything through.

Protection wise I don't see any real issue with taking a feed from one of the existing, used fuseways in the BILL fuse board into a separate RCBO or even RCD FCU and supplying the lights from here. I know some me people don't like 2 different supplies taken from one fuseway...but I don't see an issue with it.

My question is....will adding a load to one of these fuses that's currently supplying a phase of the motor, cause any issues with relation to load balancing etc?

Hope this makes sense. Any thoughts welcomed.

Apologies for the vagueness in the title. You'll have to forgive my ignorance on the below too - I'm only just touching on 'industrial' as my work is generally more ' commercial'.

I'm faced with a small pump house - rainwater sumps which takes the site rainfall and pumps it out. As an aside - the pumps and their control gear are lovely - still sporting their paper manufacturer tags reading November 1963.

The pump equipment gets a 60a 3ph supply via PILC from the pull out ABB fuse carrier assembly in the intake room behind the substation a good distance away. The PILC terminates in a large isolator beneath an equally dated BILL 3ph fuse board...dated but in perfect condition and complete with Asbestos Clearance paperwork confirming the pads have been removed and replaced with alternative inserts.

6 fuses and carriers in here. There's 2 pumps so simply one fuse per phase per pump. No spare fuseways. I haven't checked the size of the fuse wire but until I decide how to proceed with this job, that's kind of by the by.

The job is to simply provide an internal LED strip light to allow maintenance - and provide an external PIR operated light. There was an internal light in here before, however, interestingly this was supplied completely separate to the 60a 3ph supply to this building and came in via a very long, buried 1" conduit in VIR singles fed from a small services board in the intake room. This circuit has long since failed. The conduit seems to have rotted as it's collapsed and I can't pull anything through.

Protection wise I don't see any real issue with taking a feed from one of the existing, used fuseways in the BILL fuse board into a separate RCBO or even RCD FCU and supplying the lights from here. I know some me people don't like 2 different supplies taken from one fuseway...but I don't see an issue with it.

My question is....will adding a load to one of these fuses that's currently supplying a phase of the motor, cause any issues with relation to load balancing etc?

Hope this makes sense. Any thoughts welcomed.
Adding a led strip isn't going to make much difference to the 3 phase balance.
No real difference to where a 3 phase machine uses one phase to feed the control panel.

Reply to Providing Lighting from Motor Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net