Pub Main Fuse | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pub Main Fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

charliefarli

Hi all, just thought I would ask some of you experienced sparks out there some advice if I could!

I recently got called to look at a pub which has a single phase supply with a fuse carrier with 300 amp written on it and it takes the type J style 415volts fuses. I have never come across a single phase supply like this and suggested to them they need a three phase supply as its a 5 story building and they are converting it into a restaurant,bar and offices above. The problem is they do not want to pay for a three phase supply to be installed because of the cost, so have asked if I can use whats there. Would I be able to put a 300 amp fuse in main head and come out of fuse in 95mm tails, and split off in a 300 amp henley block to two 100amp fused isolators in 25mm tails and then there will be 2 x 25mm armoured's going to two separate DB's. I would also run a 35mm earth to gas and water and 50mm main earth. your thoughts on this would be much appreciated as I am a bit confused how to handle this one.many thanks in advance!

Reading through this thread, I'm a little concerned here that although a little advice was asked for it would appear a lot of advice is needed and with no disrespect to the OP who may be very competent within his comfort zone, this is not in his experience and I strongly suggest he either passes the job on or more favourably, gets a firm in and works alongside them so as to gain the invaluabe experience.

The descriptions would have me believe that the design of the distribution end of this install is a critical stage and any errors could be costly to businesses within the property, then the legal games would begin.

Firstly would be to find out who is paying the Electric bill and get the details and then enquire about KVA allowance for the premises, this is the first stage key step.

If their is a 300Amp 1ph supply available and the calculated demand is below this with room to move then their is nothing wrong with using it and no need to start telling customers they need 3ph supply. In an Ideal world a 3ph supply is a nice option if available in such circumstances, the problem now is the customer has been fed possible incorrect info' stating requirements of 3ph before any enquiries have been made and will only give the impression to the customer that he doesn't know what he is doing if it transpires the existing is adequate, this could lose what sounds to be a nice little contract.

I not too happy that this thread now seems to be taking a turn in trying to suggest how to design the front end distribution as we are not here to give a step by step design guide.

@ The OP - by your own admission, you are not experienced in this area (thankyou for your upfront honesty) and quite rightly you are looking around for advice on the matter, but I would suggest this isn't about just getting a few tips on the matter and actual needs careful design, I would not recommend this over a forum as simply missed snippets of info can be a game changer in the design and thus I would recommend you get a company in to design and install the distribution side while you do the rest, both learning from those doing the work and keeping the main contract for yourself; (where your experienced I assume and well within your comfort zone).

Last edited:

Reply to Pub Main Fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net