Pub sockets | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pub sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are you making any alterations, additions or new circuits?

Is this an EICR about some existing sockets?

Lastly what do the regulations state about sockets outlets and associated wiring and the requirement for rcd protection, we are happy to guide you but please try help yourself a little here.

PS may I add a strange question from someone down in their profile as teaching Electrical Installation... have I missed something here?

Last edited:
PS may I add a strange question from someone down in their profile as teaching Electrical Installation... have I missed something here?[/QUOTE]

Haha. It's called seeking guidance.!! I am indeed a teacher of electrical installation, but unfortunately not the Yoda of the electrical installation world. It's for an EICR, the installation obviously being completed some years ago.

Sorry for the cross examination but it did seem a strange question in the circumstances ..:)

Makes sense a bit now as your asking really how you go about coding no rcd protection on a socket circuit probably installed before the requirements for rcd protection were needed - Is this correct as your original question was lacking depth and the answer as you can see is circumstancial to the context of why you are asking the question.

It is because it is a commercial installation. But I suppose the sockets are still to be used my ordinary persons so will require RCD protection.
I would give them a code C3 though. Retrospective work and all that.

There used to be a code 4 just for this very set of circumstance i.e. - does not comply to current regulations but complied at the time of installation, now we have only codes 1,2 and 3 and can really on comment on a recommendation to have rcd protection so yes code 3...

A pdf for th new coding and a explanation for their use and the changes from the old 4 code system and why it was changed.

http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/41/condition-codes.cfm?type=pdf

Reply to Pub sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net