PVC Conduit in workshop. | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss PVC Conduit in workshop. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

I'm running conduit over some work benches in a workshop. Usual hand tools are to be used such as drills and hand saws etc. Would it be within the regs to run the singles in PVC conduit rather than steel galv? I woul then rcd protect circuit.?i suppose there is a risk of medium severity damage as its a workshop area!

When quoting for an industrial installation, the last thing I would consider is pvc conduit and fittings. This stuff has it's uses, but certainly not in an industrial environment. The number of problems encountered whilst inspecting existing installs is beyond belief. Generally cheap additions to the original. You will not regret using galv and neither will the client. Hope it goes ok.

So I’ve never had a good word. Do you expect me to condone poor installation practices?
As has been said horses for courses, a workshop is not the course for plastic. It could almost be guaranteed that the plastic will get damaged, the fuse doesn’t blow / breaker doesn’t trip, sod it a bit of gaffer tape will hold it for now. Does it ever get repaired, does it hell as like.
Given some of the animals I’ve worked with putting SWA cable inside steam pipe didn’t save them. I’ve always worked on the premise of if they can damage it, they will.
I’m sorry but as others will tell you, I speak as I find, I found things lacking. I’m not going to lie for you or anyone.

So I’ve never had a good word. Do you expect me to condone poor installation practices?
As has been said horses for courses, a workshop is not the course for plastic. It could almost be guaranteed that the plastic will get damaged, the fuse doesn’t blow / breaker doesn’t trip, sod it a bit of gaffer tape will hold it for now. Does it ever get repaired, does it hell as like.
Given some of the animals I’ve worked with putting SWA cable inside steam pipe didn’t save them. I’ve always worked on the premise of if they can damage it, they will.
I’m sorry but as others will tell you, I speak as I find, I found things lacking. I’m not going to lie for you or anyone.

I never said you were wrong. Just you can be quite patronising at times. However all drops are in steel galv with metal clad sockets. Fed from heavy gauge PVC at a height of 4m

Reply to PVC Conduit in workshop. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net