Pyro Cabling? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pyro Cabling? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Snapester

Hi guys, i did some work on a flat just over a year ago and tested and did a PIR which i passed as good condition after the remedial work!
Tenants in the flat having issue with cooker circuit in which the property maintenance guy came to have a look at, to which he said needs a full rewire and pyro should not be used anymore! Go figure do any other sparky folk feel this way? I believe Pyro is one of the most bullet proof installations available?
Cheers

He’s talking out of his nether regions. Pyro will see most of us in our graves.

It’s only down fall is incorrectly sealed pots and that shows up quickly. If the place was wired originally in pyro it’s well passed that problem period.

Seen pyro's in old boiler houses, unsheathed and GREEN, and not with envy. Still tested perfect. Also seen buildings completely gutted with fire....pyro's still hanging intact. How can anyone say it shouldn't be used. :icon13:

I got called out for this before,

Well it is only 2 core so there's no earth is there lol

The plasterer told the client to get a Spark in, as there was no earths on the sockets, and it was dangerous, lol

edit: I did add some pigtails from the Socket fronts to the backbox

Last edited:
my only regret with pyro is i dont get to work with it anymore,most people use fp where you used to fit pyro,ahh the god old days decent cable decent jobs and the loonys safely locked in the asylum.now they run the country!

If any one wanted a pyro job done now it would take me a week to find my kit!

It is probably in a box in the garage rusting away.

Do not think i have used pyro in over 20 years.

It was always fun making off ends in the rain!

Only problem I've ever had with the stuff was with some induction motors years ago. Wrong capacitors provided. Caused a few loud bangs and a fair bit of burning.

glad to see its not just me who refers to it as pyro! " OOOW DONT U MEAN MINAERAL INSULATED CABLE" no i mean pyro u snotty little ####! he probably wouldn,t know what pyro was if you hit him with it!lol

Used to wire blocks of flats in Pyro, marvellous stuff.

We once had to rewire a pub though that had been wired in aluminium sheathed pyro which I believe was used when there was a copper shortage. The seals had all coroded where they were terminated into steel enclosures !

Pyro fan as well, and 20+ years since my tools for it were last used (still have them though)

I cant think of anything negative about it, other than cost,and I well remember using beads instead of neoprene sleeving

Reply to Pyro Cabling? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net