Pyro Cabling? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pyro Cabling? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Snapester

Hi guys, i did some work on a flat just over a year ago and tested and did a PIR which i passed as good condition after the remedial work!
Tenants in the flat having issue with cooker circuit in which the property maintenance guy came to have a look at, to which he said needs a full rewire and pyro should not be used anymore! Go figure do any other sparky folk feel this way? I believe Pyro is one of the most bullet proof installations available?
Cheers

Used to wire blocks of flats in Pyro, marvellous stuff.

We once had to rewire a pub though that had been wired in aluminium sheathed pyro which I believe was used when there was a copper shortage. The seals had all coroded where they were terminated into steel enclosures !

Any one remember aluminium conduit? God that was sh**

The House's of Parliament has an all copper conduit system with cast brass alloy boxes!! I wonder how much that cost the country?? lol!!

And what's the betting that some daft electrician will want to pull separate CPC's into them in the future!!! lol!!!

Better watch out for those copper thieves.lol!

glad to see its not just me who refers to it as pyro! " OOOW DONT U MEAN MINAERAL INSULATED CABLE" no i mean pyro u snotty little ####! he probably wouldn,t know what pyro was if you hit him with it!lol

Don't think there is anything ''Snotty'' about calling it MICC, it's more to do with how you were taught and what it was being called in your local surroundings than anything else!! I can remember being told during my training that Pyro is just a shortened term for ''Protenex'' which is just one of several manufactures producing MICC, and the term shouldn't be used a cable description. But then everyone and his dog in the industry, knows what your talking about when you refer to Pyro! ...lol!! MICC has just stuck with me, rather than Pyro! ..lol!!

Being a year out of college I can 100% certain guarantee that we were not shown how to pot Pyro because and I quote the head of department of my college "It is outdated and you should be using FP200" the closet we got to Pyro was our tutor hitting it with a hammer to demonstrate its indestructibility of the cable after calling the head of apartment several curse words for saying pyro is outdated and it is better to use FP200,
Unfortunately I have no experience with Pyro and would love to learn how to work with it, its due to the course requirements I did do a course with C&G but was not taught Pyro.

Anyone that thinks FP200 type cables can replace MICC in every instance, is a certified fool!!

I get more disillusioned with these modern day collage and training center lecturers, every time i hear this kind of inappropriate, ill informed personal preference crap!!

One enduring memory of pyro was placing a piece connected to a megger over the anvil and smacking 7 bells out of it. It held up until the edge of the hammer caught it.

Unfortunately under M&Q regs we weren’t allowed to use it.

Don't think there is anything ''Snotty'' about calling it MICC, it's more to do with how you were taught and what it was being called in your local surroundings than anything else!! I can remember being told during my training that Pyro is just a shortened term for ''Protenex'' which is just one of several manufactures producing MICC, and the term shouldn't be used a cable description. But then everyone and his dog in the industry, knows what your talking about when you refer to Pyro! ...lol!! MICC has just stuck with me, rather than Pyro! ..lol!!

I assume you mean "Pyrotenax" (why is there no technical spell checker) which was the name of the original manufacturer of the cable. As well as MICC it is sometimes referred to as MIMS

I'm working for a LA and they also say it should be rewired, I do generally find very poor IR readings on the installations though.

Yet the 40+ year old communal lighting installations all seem ok?

Does anyone know why this is? Does bare pyro not like being buried in plaster/screed?

I think that bare unsheathed pyro buried in cement could be a problem with the copper being attacked by whatever is in the cement.

Used to call it either Pyro or MIMS round my way.

Yooj

I'm working for a LA and they also say it should be rewired, I do generally find very poor IR readings on the installations though.

Yet the 40+ year old communal lighting installations all seem ok?

Does anyone know why this is? Does bare pyro not like being buried in plaster/screed?

I think that bare unsheathed pyro buried in cement could be a problem with the copper being attacked by whatever is in the cement.

Like copper pipe really, if MICC is going to be directly laid in or through concrete, cement, render etc it should be sheathed, protective coated, or run in a PVC containment in case there is an element in those substances that reacts with copper. Most poor IR readings are down to badly made off pot's, rarely the copper sheath!!

I wouldn't take much creed in any LA Engineer, i've always found them to be mostly ''failed'' Engineers from the real world of contracting/consultancy. LA's are usually the last hope for all failed disipline Engineers, especially road Traffic Engineers, i'm sure you've all seen examples of there bright ideas in your areas!! ...lol!!

Im going to check it out next weekend so i will let you guys know the fault, according to the old PIR i did, it had the lowest IR reading of all the circuits so i will check it out again.

He's probably only saying that because he was useless at making it off and dressing it properly when he was a spark in the real world

the thing with fp and its variants,its a hell of a job to make it look good, but done right pyro comes of the reel straight as a die and is much easier to dress,bit harder if working outside in the cold but still better to install than fp

FP 200 is a poor man's replacement for MICC. I replaced FP warped by the sun on a factory roof a while ago. No chance of that with MICC. I mentioned, in an earlier post, that the only problem I have found was with small, three phase, induction motors. I think BICC were the cable manufacturers. Quite a problem occurred, due to inverse eddy currents. Surge arresters were provided but were incorrect. There were some very loud bangs. One cable, embedded in a group of about twenty on cable tray, was down. Not worth replacing, so added another cable and disconnected the damaged one (didn't fancy ripping it out and redressing that lot).

yes IPF BICC made pyro made near me in prescot, brilliant to see it made starts out as a short fat roll and gets drawn out thinner and thinner till they get the right size,as someone mentioned about college my last apprentice was in college one day and after being shown how to do something he said he preferred the way I had show him,he showed the teacher my way and the teacher said blimey it must be an old bloke training you son, I havent seen that done in a good while.So its official then at 47 i,m an old bloke,must have done something right though cause he came out best in his class.

lol,
once ive made the ends off ill meggar it out !

Reply to Pyro Cabling? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net