Question about electic oven | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Question about electic oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

abuameer

Hi all,

This is my first post. I have just purchased an electric oven which is rated at max of 3200 Watt. Currently my kitchen has a ring circuit with MCB of 32 Amps. Is it law that this oven has to have its own radial circuit? doing the maths : 3200 / 230 = 13.91Amps. No way near the 32 AMps but i understand that kitchens tend to run high rated appliances such as toaster, washing machine, kettle etc and there may be a point in time that it could use up the 32 Amps. If it is not law that it needs to be on a separate radial circuit then is it possible to increase the 32 Amps to 40 Amps say? Thanks for all your advice.

Regards,

Abu

There is no law that says you can not plug your oven into your ring circuit, if your oven comes with a molded 13amp plug.

What there is though is a regulation that says you must conform to the manufacturers instructions, so read that and they may ask for a dedicated circuit.

There are also guides that say an appliance such as an oven, over 2kw should be on it's own dedicated circuit, but again that is a guide.

Bottom line really is, I personally would want this on a dedicated circuit, if you don't put it on one and the manufacturers say it should be you might just have a warranty problem...............but apart from that then plug her in

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if your new oven can pull 13.92a or will ever see that value!! Read the many threads and posts here relating to your query to understand Why!!

Look at the bottom of this page ''Similar Threads''

Reply to Question about electic oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net