Question about explosion | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Question about explosion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hyxr

Hi,

I recently sold a mains charger to someone which was a cheap, yeah, my bad. Anyway, the mains charger apparently exploded, and it supposedly electrocuted the person. However, is it even possible they got electrocuted by the mains charger if they had a good cable? I think they are trying to make a false claim that they got electrocuted by it. Please see attached a photo of what it looks like.

Thanks a lot for any help!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Question about explosion

As above. There are not many USB A to USB A leads around.

Most will be USB A to micro USB, USB A to Apple Lightning or some other combination.
I have a USB to USB lead but its a crossover one, meant for PC-PC data exchanges.

A Google engineer did a little side project looking into chargers and cables. He found a lot of them, even from well known manufacturers could and did cause damage. I think this related more to issues with the actual phones and batteries though, rather than at the socket end.
A few have mentioned why are you using the charger when there are loads of USB ports. Depending on the phone and the USB socket itself, charging can be a slow process I have found, and having a proper charger usually speeds this up.

Hi all,
On a similar note - a warning about cheap Li-Ion LED head torches (coz they are brilliantly and I know most of us use them) - mine burst into flames when on charge overnight and set fire to some stuff in my utility room. Me and my family were saved by the trusty AICO smokes I had installed - gave me enough time to get the kids out and put the fire out.
The offending torch was CREE Li-Ion one, amazon , about £16, image attached. There's a tear down video on YouTube - turns out there is no internal circuitry in charger to stop it once batteries are full...... I now charge all my Li-Ion stuff in a metal box in the garage.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Question about explosion

i've got analmost identical headtorch to that. not had any problems, although it does take at least 24 hours to charge fully, the LED in the charger slowly goes from red through yellow to green when charging is complete.
did have a problem with it switching on by itself when in the back of the van. sorted out by glueing a 20mm flex gland nut over the switch to prevent this.

Reply to Question about explosion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net