Range cooker tripping breaker, even when all settings switched off | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Range cooker tripping breaker, even when all settings switched off in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys n gals.

I don't often do appliances but been looking at a range cooker of a regular customer (gas hobs, 3x electirc ovens).
It keeps blowing the 32A MCB with a flash at the back of the range (unable to position myself behind to see where from but suspect it's around the incoming connection).

I've tested all elements which weren't great on insulation test to earth but just about passed. They all had about 42ohm resistance through element.

I found a disintegrated light bulb which I removed and bypassed.
Although there was significant thermal residue on the light cables I couldn't see any bare conductor.

I've disconnected all connections at the main terminal of the oven and tested the terminals as there seemed to be liquid residue around it but that was ok.

I've checked all cables at the back for damage but found none and there is no thermal damage on the rear panels.

I got a insulation resistance reading of 9 Mohm between L & E for the whole oven.

I haven't dismantled the top of the oven yet to check the dials, switches, etc. as it was getting late.

Confusing me a bit how it's tripping the breaker even when none of the ovens are switched on.
Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions what it might be?

Cheers in advance

Reply to Range cooker tripping breaker, even when all settings switched off in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net