RCD a but slow. Time for a change? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD a but slow. Time for a change? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
I tested a customers BS4293 MEM 100A, 30mA RCD, which is about 25 years old, after it tripped overnight. The trip time at x 1 was 207.2, 78 and 54.2 ms at 0 deg. and 68.6 ms at 180 deg. I know that the limit is 200 ms, so one reading was slightly over, which is why I repeated the test. At x 5 it tripped at 50 ms at 0 deg. and 41.5 ms at 180 deg. So, again both over the limit of 40 ms. No trip at x 1/2.
Do these results mean I have to change the RCD? Or is there any tollerance? If so, can only get used identical replacement from the internet. Or should I change it to a RCD to BS EN 61008-1, like a Wylex 100A 2 Pole 30mA RCD?

Does this help?

No. I always say to customers "Can I assume that you test the RCD's every three months?" They look at me as if they have broken the law!
Does anyone ever check the RCD? I only ever do it when someone pays me!
Mine gets tested every time my other half decides to toast a tea cake and a current gets stuck between the casing and heating element!

Reply to RCD a but slow. Time for a change? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
The isolator was always going to be an unlikely option and previous information seemed to have ruled out the possibility. If I can remember...
Replies
Views
nicebutdim
N
  • Question
Exactly 😅
2 3
Replies
Views
Yes looks like you are right! Though to be fair, AMD 1 only had EV stuff in it, so probably didn't change anything to do with testing? Still if...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As this thread has gone off topic somewhat (amongst other reasons which should soon become self-evident).... CLOSED :D
    • Dislike
    • Funny
Replies
Views
Have you checked if there are any manufacturer recalls on the fridge / freezer wouldn't be the first time that an appliance batch had a faulty...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks