'Real World' CU upgrade. | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 'Real World' CU upgrade. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I just thought I'd post up a typical (but smallish) CU replacement done today. Commonly you don't have much if any slack cable to work with and with trying to dress previously connected conductors you're never going to get the same level of neatness as a brand new install. But I think this is a reasonable standard. I really like the Fusebox CUs, they seem very well made and the RCBOs always test out very well. ?
[ElectriciansForums.net] 'Real World' CU upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank god there’s no ferrules on the 6mm conductors going into the rcbo, the YouTube gang would be furious with you Dave.
Believe it or not they are ferruled Ian, just hard to see in the picture. And to quote Jim Royle , I couldn't give a shiny sh1te about the YouTube gang. ?

Believe it or not they are ferruled Ian, just hard to see in the picture.
Indeed, close inspection shows the uninsulated ferrules used! Neat.

Also the originals are not soldered - that is a big no-no for screw terminals as it compresses with time and becomes loose - but it is an ultrasonic weld. Basically squashed it to sold again.

Looks good. Did MK make the devices? Look a bit MK like in terms of their interpretation of vertical.
The key to overcoming the MK slant is a quick release ratchet clamp, grip the mcbs, rcds and main switch etc then fit busbars. everything then sits nice and vertical without the slant.

The key to overcoming the MK slant is a quick release ratchet clamp, grip the mcbs, rcds and main switch etc then fit busbars. everything then sits nice and vertical without the slant.

Theres a gap in the market for a VDE rated ratchet clamp then ?

Right hand side. There’s an LHS on other rcd.
In the house, it’s more front and rear of the house. One room has sockets on two circuits on opposite walls. (I know, not an issue, just mentioning)

Whatever happened to upstairs downstairs?

In the house, it’s more front and rear of the house. One room has sockets on two circuits on opposite walls. (I know, not an issue, just mentioning)

Hudson retired.

It's a way of saving cable, two halves of the house incorporating upstairs and downstairs instead of running a ring all the way round twice. It can be a pain for accurate labelling though and most of the lazy buggers just write 'sockets' with no more detail.

It's a way of saving cable, two halves of the house incorporating upstairs and downstairs instead of running a ring all the way round twice. It can be a pain for accurate labelling though and most of the lazy buggers just write 'sockets' with no more detail.

I have never been a fan on this left hand right hand way of wiring sockets, I have come across houses where you have sockets and legs of rings all interconnected all over the place. Having a socket fed from 2 mcbs sets my spider senses into over drive. And 2 sockets in the same room on different circuits sets my ocd off

I did an EICR today which included 5 socket circuits in an average 3 bed house. 4 of these circuits were rings and all were just labelled sockets, so I had to check exactly what went where and label accordingly - one RFC served just two sockets in a bedroom !

Reply to 'Real World' CU upgrade. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net