Regulation Help please | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Regulation Help please in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

acestu

Hi fellas, I have just started work as a caretaker at a childrens retreat (charity), and wondered if it is legal for me to do electrical work, I am a time served spark with inspection and testing, 17th edition, and pat testing quals, am I right in thinking that part p is just for domestic situations and that any work I do dosen't need to have certificates.

Any advice appreciated
acestu

Hi fellas, I have just started work as a caretaker at a childrens retreat (charity), and wondered if it is legal for me to do electrical work, I am a time served spark with inspection and testing, 17th edition, and pat testing quals, am I right in thinking that part p is just for domestic situations and that any work I do dosen't need to have certificates.

Any advice appreciated
acestu

Part P only applies to domestic situations yes, but being non-domestic doesn't mean you dont inspect & test any work you do and issue any relevant certificates, as you should do particularly as it's a charity and there are children involved. If something were to happen and you had nothing to back you up you may find yourself in more than a bit of bother.

It does mean that notification to building control is not required though, but I would check any insurances to make sure you wont be invalidating them by carrying out such works.

Hi Lenny, thanks for the reply, I didn't word it really well, what i meant was does my employer or myself need to be members of nappit, or NIEC etc, or can I test after instalation and write certificates without being a member ?

thanks
Acestu

As it is not a domestic situation there is no legal requirement for you to be a member of any self certification scheme BUT any work you do should be tested and certified in order to comply with the regs. The only problem I can foresee is that because you're not a member of NICEIC/NAPIT etc if anything were to go wrong that fact could screw up their insurances. Simple answer is for you to talk to the head honcho and get him/her to investigate it so you can cover your butt

Thanks for the replies fellas, i guess what your saying is check to see if we are insured with the insurance company for doing electrical work ?

cheers
acestu

As it is not a domestic situation there is no legal requirement for you to be a member of any self certification scheme BUT any work you do should be tested and certified in order to comply with the regs. The only problem I can foresee is that because you're not a member of NICEIC/NAPIT etc if anything were to go wrong that fact could screw up their insurances. Simple answer is for you to talk to the head honcho and get him/her to investigate it so you can cover your butt

If the man is an electrician, a ''competent person'' and has the relevant cert's to prove as such, why the hell does he need to be a member of one of these scam providers?? Another good reason why there should be a National Register of Qualified Electricians. You can then do away with these scam providers altogether....

None of these so called scam providers, can provide any form of insurance or any form of guarantee to anyone, which is why they are called ''Scam Providers''!! It's about time that these insurance companies realise these facts.

yeah. check with the insurers as to whether they require a scheme member to do electrical work/testing. if they say they do, ask them why

As ever, thanks for your replies fellas,

I.m with you 54, all these courses and exams and these people still want to bleed us dry, and there is a better way to let people know that your a qualified electrician,

Sick of spending my wage on regs and other documentation aswell, £60 quid here, £90 quid there,

cheers
Acestu

What would be the difference between the OP doing maintenance and an in house maintenance department within a factory.
The legal requirement is that they both are competent.
If the insurance Co. won't insure a qualified person will they insure a maintenance department, or are all these large companies, Ford, Nissan, Tata, etc, undertaking their own maintenance and repairs without insurance?

You are operating under the EAWR 1989 regs as this is a workplace and you are required to be competent (Reg 16) in order to carry out electrical work at the place of work. Which with your quals there should be no problem. The problem is with the employers liability insurance get your boss to check the employers liability insurance to make sure you are covered to do the work.

Reply to Regulation Help please in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net